• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Restoration of a Wiring Harness

  • Thread starter Thread starter diverdaveman
  • Start date Start date Mar 22, 2004
D

diverdaveman

New Member
Feb 19, 2004
45
0
0
Mar 22, 2004
#1
  • Mar 22, 2004
  • #1
I'm restoring my 68 stang and all of the wiring is in tack and uncut, but it looks like crap. The white connectors are yellowish and the black wrap is a faded black or a dirty looking dark grey. All you stangers out there know what I'm talking about. A new harness cost too much just to replace a perfectly good one that has a little cosmetic damage to it. Also, I'm wanting it to have the factory look as well.

Does anyone out there have any tricks up there sleeve about restoring a wiring harness?

Thanks
Dave.
 
C

candy-a-Mach1

New Member
Nov 13, 2002
291
0
0
Kentucky
Mar 22, 2004
#2
  • Mar 22, 2004
  • #2
I just went throught the same thing last week. I used a little solvent and a tooth brush to clean up the connectors and some solvent to wipe down the harness and wires. I removed loose tape and replaced it with a hi-temp electrical tape. On tape that was solid, I taped over the top again, after first cleaning it well. I checked all the connectors for loose connections (found several) and had to take some apart and recrimp. A couple of old splices were cleaned up, soldered and shrink wrapped. Not brand new, and potentially with a few problems, yet (although I headed off a few that were inevitable), but 300% cleaner for $10 worth of tape and 3-4 hours of time.

Good luck
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Electrical Ron Francis Headlight / Alternator Harness
  • dan50
  • Apr 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
278
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 30, 2026
dan50
G
Resolved Smoking Wiring Issue After GT40 Head Swap
  • Grapes
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
451
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 22, 2026
Grapes
G
B
SOLD 1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 5-speed
  • blackmerc
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
16
Views
807
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Aug 24, 2026
General karthief
F
Electrical From scratch: alternator wiring
  • fox racer v2
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
639
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 23, 2025
fox racer v2
F
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
329
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?