Retardation or fact?

I gotta be out of the house by 7:00 every morning for school so I usually only have time to let my car sit for about 30 sec to a min which is good enough then on the way to school I never bring it over 3k rpms. I think this should be done winter or summer. But 5-10 min, come on man dont you think thats over doing it a little? Some of the time I dont let my car sit at all I just turn it on and go, but I still dont bring it over 3k until the needle goes up a little. But about letting it sit for a couple minutes, I dont think it really matters. But I do think its a good idea no to bring it above 3 or 4000rpms until the needle goes up a little.

• Sponsors (?)

Huck you're right, but idling for long periods of time even at operating temp. is far from being easy on the engine. I'm sure you knew that and just forgot to mention it, or maybe you did and I missed it.

I like to have my vehicles kinda warm when I get in them, so now in the winter I start them up 2-3 minutes ahead of time and then drive easy. I always give at least 30 seconds no matter the weather to get fluids flowing before I take off.

Premium Speed said:
i agree with you but i have never seen a case of a motor getting ruined while it was at idle with a proper cooling system. all the 1/4 mile WOT hits are FAR more dangerous than letting the car sit at idle. this point is.....pointless

no(not enough to worry about) harm will be done by letting the car idle for a short period of time. cop cars have proven this for years. i know a cop who's car is continuosly running twice a day for up to 4 hours or more at a time. not a single problem. :nice:

The dealership that worked on my brother's Crown Vic said that they have had a problem with the 4.6 and excessive idling. They blamed his job (securtiy officer) for the problem and would not fix it under warranty. Sometimes I can't believe how dealerships try to get out of fixing ****.

the motors are designed to be driven when cold. 90% of car owners do that, and their motors are usually fine.

just let it sit for 30 seconds most,then take it easy. these newer 4.6's warm up very slowly anyway. the oil is still flowing through the motor even though its cold, so its not a big deal if you bring it to 2200 rpms or whatever. when its to the middle then thats when you give it the gas.

this is what ive done.

I agree with Huck 100%.

I have to admit I have let the car sit for 5-10 minutes on very cold mornings for my comfort. I'll have to cut that back to 1 or 2.

BTW: I believe excessive idle time can cause carbon build-up in the engine.