Rhythmic Grinding Noise From Front End

Shifty5616

Jun 28, 2013
So, newly registered here looking for some insight. Bought a 1984 hatchback, originally it was a v6, but someone built and swapped in a v8. When I first got the car on sunday, there would be a significant grinding noise coming from the right front end, but only when turning more than 3/4 turn or so. Jacked the car up, checked for rubbing, loose parts, worn ball joints, everything. No issues. The rack and pinion was leaking, so I opted to replace that. I also got a new set of wheel bearings. Driver side bearings where fine, I cleaned and repacked. Passanger sides weren't terrible, but there was certainly some dirt and grim. Replaced those bearings and go test drive. now the same grinding noise was happening while going straight, turning, breaking, reverse everything. As I continued to drive it lessened significantly, and at one point stopped altogether. Went to work, and driving back home its doing it again. Rhythmic grinding from what seems to be the front passanger side. Doesn't get better or worse turning or breaking, just increases with speed. I'm about out of ideas. Scoured the interwebs for some answers but everyone's is always "tie, rods, ball joints or wheel bearings" So, any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I really don't think it could be the ps. After replacing the rack and pinion I ran the car on jackstands to bleed the system and didn't hear the grinning noise. It's linked to the car moving, not necessarily turning

Obviously there's something more than "no issues". Take the wheel off again and look VERY carefully for witness marks on the wheel spokes and wheel rim for where a brake component or something else could be rubbing it. Look VERY closely at the splash shield next to the rotor and make sure it's not contacting the rotor anywhere. Basically, look for shiny spots where there shouldn't be shiny spots.