Running Rough (Misfiring?), Getting Codes 23 and 33, and Cylinder 6 on Code Reader!

91StangGT5.0

Oct 21, 2009
I replaced the header gaskets on my car yesterday as well as change the spark plug wires. After I finished I ran the car to check it out and it was running great! I get up this morning to go fill up on gas and on the way back it starts running pretty rough. I could press the gas pedal down and it would do hardly anything. It wouldn't die on me...as a matter of fact it starts right up but sounds like it's misfiring or something. Maybe it's some how tied into the Code 23 and/or 33? Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, code 23 is TPS sensor out of range. It means it's not set to .7 - 1.1 V at idle. SO you'll want to get a multimeter and set the TPS to somewhere in that range (no it doesn't need to be .9998V like commonly said).

Code 33 is EGR not opening. Could be a stuck plunger, or vac related.

You issue sounds like something else

My car started acting retarded as I was coming up to an Auto Repair Shop by my house, so I left it there and dropped my keys off lol.

Oil pressure looks good, but the only reason I say this is because the dipstick tube isn't bolted back on to the header like it should be since I couldn't get the bolt back in and could pop off. I've tried a multitude of different bolts and no luck there.

I installed MSD Street Fire Plug Wires yesterday and they have the long boots at the spark plug end and they seem to closely rest by the header. Some of them barely touch the header, so I don't know if this plays a part in this....or just bad wires altogether?

Figured out what the problem was and I'm ashamed I didn't see it to begin with. Three of the spark plug wires I installed were melted to the exhaust piping and were arcing at the melted part. I fixed this problem and now I've discovered Code 96 (C).

Code 96...How to Resolve?

I hear my Fuel Pump prime when I turn the key, but I'm getting a KOEO code 96 and have no idea as to what it could be relating to. I do notice when I turn my car on it will sometimes start up and sputter down like it's going to do but if I give it gas it goes away and runs normal. If I do nothing sometimes it dies or goes back to idling normal.