Engine Runs perfect, dies when warmed up, starts perfect.

Andresquintana.mma

Nov 28, 2014
I was having problems with my car idling bad, seems to be fixed now but about two weeks ago when the idle was acting funny it started dying all of a sudden. I thought it was just a side effect to the surging idle. Now that I dont have a surging idle it still dies when it warms up, but starts fine and while driving theres no pronlems its only when Im stopped and the car idles it will die. When I was looking into the surging idle I tried to pull codes but couldnt because my sti wire has too much ohms. Id hook up the obd1 scanner and it would connect but wouldnt pull codes. So im not sure if my wiring got messed up or if my car is dying because of
the spark plug wires being burnt by the header? Any advice or checklist to follow would be great, only problem is I cant pull codes unless I fix the sti connector which Im assuming Id have to replace the main wiring harness and possibly the computer?My car is an 88 GT with a mass air conversion kit, has a cobra intake, 3.73 gears full exhaust and thats all I know of. Thanks for all the help in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

those are symptomatic of either a bad PIP or TFI, but if the wiring is jacked up, you could have some other issues. trace back the wires from the test plugs to see if there are any broken or gounding out wires. A burnt spark plug wire will make the car have a miss but will still run. How did you set the base idle reset?

those are symptomatic of either a bad PIP or TFI, but if the wiring is jacked up, you could have some other issues. trace back the wires from the test plugs to see if there are any broken or gounding out wires. A burnt spark plug wire will make the car have a miss but will still run. How did you set the base idle reset?
Ok thank you, I replaced the distributor about half a year ago, can they go bad that fast? I’ll trace the wire as well it goes along the fire well into the kick panel correct? I can post a video if that would help?

The checklist tells you about not being able to pull codes.
take the computer out, open it up and see if there is a burnt trace or leaking capacitor or whatever them things are called.
it also tells you about testing the wires to the computer.

Reactions: 1 user
The checklist tells you about not being able to pull codes.
take the computer out, open it up and see if there is a burnt trace or leaking capacitor or whatever them things are called.
it also tells you about testing the wires to the computer.
Ok great I’ll take off the kick pannel right now. I tested the ground wire at the sto and the whit and red wire at the sti ground was good and sti was bad. I’ll check the computer next. Disconnected the egr no change, inolugged iac and made the idel worse but still died plugged it back in ran the way it was and cleaned mass air flow no change. I still need to grab the spark plug wires and I’ll chabge the spark plugs while I’m at it. Thanks for the advice!

Horrible update haha I went to the store in the mustang to get some spark plug wires and driving back I heard the car back fire and it’s never done that before and right before I got home I heard a loud pop and it didn’t want to turn back on, had to push it all the way back to my house good thing I was kinda close. Good thing I have a spare engine if worse comes to worse.

good update, trouble shot the car and bad distributor, i was in disbelief because the distributor was new. The crank but no start checklist is amazing! Ill see if it still has a surging idle in the morning!

Reactions: 1 users