Satin paint...whats the best method...a single stage or a basecoat/matte clearcoat?

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
Considering having the car painted next winter and going with a satin black vs gloss. I show my car as well so i want a good paint job that will last a long time and that can be maintained etc. My car is garaged and would only see rain in the rare event i get caught in it. I was going to wait until i could afford to build the dart, upgrade my trans and fuel system but would really like to get it done sooner because my factory paint is beat up when you get up close and it kills me at the shows. Plus i want to get a set of custom wheels and want to do it all at the same time. I figure the fuel setup, trans etc can all be upgraded after since its all under the car...worst part will be pulling the motor after and tooling on it here and there but i figure ill always be under there tinkering/upgrading something anyways so....am i putting the cart before the horse on this? Would it be stupid to have my engine bay smoothed and painted at a later date? And most importantly is the satin paint better as a single stage or a basecoat matte clear for longevity and maintenance?

• Sponsors (?)

Davedacarpainter may have some insight. I wouldn’t do a matte or satin finish myself. I haven’t seen a paste or wax for that stuff, unless it new. Or, maybe, I’m old school.

Last edited: