Scratched up third brake light lens

Hey I was wondering if anyone can help here. I have a 99 convertible and the 3rd brake light lens is all scratched up. I believe the previous owner somehow managed to back into a bronco or somesuch and their bumper scraped it up. Anyways, I tried looking around to see if there was a replacement I can get but to no avail. So I guess my next bet would be to wet sand it and polish it? Do you think this might work? I figured I'd post here cuz you guys who know how to clean up scratches and whatnot. I've wetsanded plastic headlights before and figure this will work here too but just wanting some input. Or if anyone knows where I can get a new lens and how i might go about replacing it. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Hm.. on my 99, the third brake light is doing the same thing. I haven't hit anything with it, but scratches have appeared on the top of the lense. It isn't as noticable since I've installed the spoiler, so I haven't really bothered with it. One place I've used for parts is http://www.car-part.com.. you can search through a national database of salvage yards. I was thinking about wet sanding and using my plastic polish as well.. not sure if its been tried or not though.