• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Screwed Up Installing Alternator; Please Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Austin00GT
  • Start date Start date Aug 9, 2017
A

Austin00GT

New Member
Mar 30, 2017
3
0
1
Aug 9, 2017
#1
  • Aug 9, 2017
  • #1
Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum. My battery and alternator recently failed on me so I decided to take it upon myself to purchase and install a new set. It was a fairly easy job and I was done in under 20 minutes. Now, when I bought the new alternator it's pulley had a diameter that was about 1/3 of an inch smaller than the previous one in my car. I didn't put too much thought into it due to the fact that the sales guy assured me it was the factory size. I took it out for a spin to make sure everything was good, and right off the bat I noticed the battery gauge drastically dropping. I thought maybe the alternator just needed a second to get going, so I kept driving. That's when my problems started. I could feel the car starting to die before it started shaking and sputtering pretty bad. I was close enough to home that I wanted to try and make it to my driveway. The car completely died a few times while driving, so I engaged the clutch and threw it in 2nd gear and popped the clutch. I had a lot going on while finishing up the alternator job and stupidly forgot to reconnect the two cables to the alternator. It looked as though the belt was what was smoking, although I'm not entirely sure. Can running the alternator with the belt attached, neither of the two cables though, ruin the new alternator? Can anyone explain what happened? Thanks so much in advance!

Oh and my car is a 2000 Mustang GT.
 

Neuron

5 Year Member
Nov 6, 2016
859
192
93
Aug 10, 2017
#2
  • Aug 10, 2017
  • #2
No expert but I would put an new belt on after reconnecting the harness and try it. With a new belt and properly working tensioner you should be OK.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,321
398
164
Joplin, Missouri
Aug 10, 2017
#3
  • Aug 10, 2017
  • #3
Take it off and have it tested. I never get a working parts store alt the first time it seems. Odds are you didn't hurt anything as long as it's a good unit.

Also good advice on replacing the belt if you've not recently. Broken belt means no power steering or brakes and that's a lot of fun.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
174
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
A
Resolved Electrical Help Please
  • Alabama
  • Jan 22, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
334
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 22, 2026
AeroCoupe
A
Please!? I need some help with my 1964.5 alternator conversion
  • Alabear94
  • Dec 6, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
421
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jan 10, 2026
GOvert
G
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
255
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
manicmechanic007
Electrical Ron Francis Headlight / Alternator Harness
  • dan50
  • Apr 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
280
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 30, 2026
dan50
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?