Searching for new exhaust

FiveOhGabe

Aug 18, 2022
Menifee CA
New to forums in general, but i'm looking for an aggressive exhaust for my 1994 GT. Not sure what to go with or where to find the best deals used or new. Need a whole new setup besides headers, just catback and mid pipe.

• Sponsors (?)

You can get the h pipe, intermediate pipes, and tail pipes from a local parts store...like Advance Auto or AZ. They usually have the cheapest prices because there's no fee to ship to the store. I used to run the basic 2 1/4 inch pipes ( h pipe and intermediate pipes ) with cherry bomb mufflers with turn downs before the rear end. Turn downs angled slightly towards the center. Was loud and aggressive.

There are several versions of cherry bomb style mufflers.... I used the cheap 20 buck ones the local parts store carries. They won't line up to factory tail pipes and you'll need to buy a set of clamp on hangers to go at the end of the muffler.

Screenshot_20220822-222253_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It's way easier to get their pipes, including tailpipes, and go with a super 44 series Flowmaster muffler.

2 1/2 inch pipes and mufflers would give more flow and a deeper tone. 3 inch pipes are overkill and can cause issues with the tail pipes routing over the rear end.

I'm almost 45 and no longer crave the loudest vehicle experience. I have mufflers on my turbo car just to take the edge off of it.

Your best bet is to go to a supplier site like LMR or CJP and see what's available for your car. Make a list of the brands. Go to Youtube and search for sound videos with those systems to see what you like. Youtube is good but doesn't always capture the true volume or tone, so I also suggest going to the track, car shows, and cruise-ins. Mustang-focused events would probably be the best. If you hear something you like, ask the owner. Guys at these types of events love to talk about their car and combo. Good luck!

If you want the classic 5.0 sound then off road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's and full 2-1/2" system. I have BBK equal length shorty headers, BBK off road X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, and Walker 2-1/2" tail pipes. The X pipe changes the pitch of the sound and I have been told its loud...sensitive little bitc...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm running some BBK shorty headers, MAC off road x-pipe with Spintechs dumped and get tons of compliments. Only thing I would change is the x-pipe for a h-pipe for a deeper tone. But like mentioned before, off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 40's and full 2-1/2" system will give that classic sound which I think sounds good.

Am I reading your post above correctly in that you are saying the X-Pipe is going to generate a deeper tone than an X-Pipe? If so I am going to disagree as the X-Pipe on my Coupe increased the pitch of the exhaust and made it alot more raspy. The H-Pipe was a lower tone on the same exhaust.

Am I reading your post above correctly in that you are saying the X-Pipe is going to generate a deeper tone than an X-Pipe? If so I am going to disagree as the X-Pipe on my Coupe increased the pitch of the exhaust and made it alot more raspy. The H-Pipe was a lower tone on the same exhaust.
H-pipe will generate a deeper tone from what I've seen. Deeper tone as in less raspy, just a cleaner sound from what I think. They both sound great though.

Depends on the sound you are looking for and just how much volume.

I like the 'H' midpipe for a more "muscle car" sounding rumble. The 'X' pipe has a different sound.

I have Magnaflow catbacks with Magnapacks. My car is loud but not too loud. It will set off car alarms in underground parking. And people turn to look when they hear me go by (when they aren't looking just cause my car is pretty). Also the drone from loudness is not bad at all. Over all I love the sound of my car and I get complimented on it all the time.

Also, when you do your exhaust, be sure to put some nice tips on there. I have 3-1/2" slanted cut exhaust tips. They look mean.