Service Engine Soon Light ON Please Help

Mikey323

Dec 25, 2007
Hey how you guys doing?

I've had my Service Engine Soon light ON for a while now but i haven't done much to it in words to fix so i wanna fix it now.

I have a diablo predator so i hooked it up to see the error and this is what it gives.

P0442 Evaporative emission system leak detected (Small leak)

Thats what it says but i cant make any sense of it. Can you guys let me know what kinda problem this might be or what i can check for in the engine bay or anywhere else so i can fix this cuz i wanna sell this car and i want to make sure it still runs kinda normal for the new owner.

I've been told my gas cap might have been loose or not on and thats why I have the Service Engine light on, but I clear it and in 75-100 Miles it comes back on again every time. I have cleared the code probably about 6-8 times. I have also been told to check the CAI lines, and they all look fine no cracks and what not.

Mods i have are 19" wheels,MAC CAI,MAC Headers,MAC dual exhaust, which is all that i have......No Diablo tune.......still on factory tune. Automatic tranny and car has about 92K miles.

Some input would be great on solving it if i can.

Thank You

• Sponsors (?)

Do you smell any fuel while driving? A small leak or hole in a fuel vapor tube/hose might be the problem. I would inspect the EVAP system for cuts or holes in tubes/hoses

The service engine soon light in my 2000 has been on for about 2 years. I had it checked at an Auto Zone and they said it was something like a secondary air bypass valve or something like that (I am certain I don't remember exactly what he said but it was something like that). They also said Ford quit using that engine design because of the problems with that valve sticking. I had the light turned off but it comes back on as yours does. The engine seems to run fine and the car has about 120K miles now.

Do you smell any fuel while driving? A small leak or hole in a fuel vapor tube/hose might be the problem. I would inspect the EVAP system for cuts or holes in tubes/hoses

where is said vapor tube? I have the same code and the entire rear end reaks of gas after I drive it.

What year is your car?

Based on a ford service CD for an 02 the DTC 0042 means:

The PCM monitors the complete EVAP control system for presence of a small fuel vapor leak. The system failure occurs when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 1.016 mm (0.04 inch) is detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test.

After-market EVAP hardware (such as fuel filler cap) non-conforming to required specifications
Small holes or cuts in fuel vapor hoses/tubes
Canister vent solenoid stays partially open on closed command
Damaged, cross-threaded or loosely installed fuel filler cap
Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components
EVAP system component seals leaking (EVAP canister purge valve, fuel tank pressure sensor, canister vent solenoid, fuel vapor control valve tube assembly or fuel vapor vent valve assembly)

~K