• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Setting pinion depth using gear marking compund

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cman88
  • Start date Start date Aug 3, 2006
C

Cman88

Member
May 11, 2006
77
0
6
Aug 3, 2006
#1
  • Aug 3, 2006
  • #1
I swapped out my 2.73's for some stock 3.27's. I used the same shim on the pinion bearing as I removed and installed a new crush ring. Pinion preload set to 15 inch lbs as spec calls for. Installed another used 8.8 traction lock since I got it really cheap and the clutch packs were in much better shape then mine. I used the bearings from this diff also as they were in excellent shape. Anyways, backlash set to .008" as per spec, everything is torqued down. I have heard that when using Ford gears, 9 times out of 10, the stock shim will work correctly and pinion depth will be in spec. I would rather check it so I smeared some white gear marking compound on the teeth and rotated it around a couple times. Problem is, the results I got look nothing like the ones I see pictured on various websites. Perhaps I smeared too much? Didn't smear it correctly? Whats the procedure here? Coat the teeth? Blob it on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure these gears are setup correctly and aren't going to give me any trouble.
 
S

superhuaman

New Member
Nov 8, 2004
907
0
0
Harrisburg, PA
Aug 3, 2006
#2
  • Aug 3, 2006
  • #2
You've got to spread it on really really thin...
Do you have pictures?
Drive side:
View attachment 451059
Coast side:
View attachment 451061

That's what my new FRPP 3.73's came out like.
 
B

BadAndy

Founding Member
Feb 21, 2001
766
0
0
Ohio
Aug 4, 2006
#3
  • Aug 4, 2006
  • #3
2.532- pinion depth
 
C

Cman88

Member
May 11, 2006
77
0
6
Aug 4, 2006
#4
  • Aug 4, 2006
  • #4
BadAndy said:
2.532
Click to expand...

What?

Anyways, pattern seemed good so I buttoned it up and filled it up. Mostly royal purple, but being 4am, I had to also use some 80w-90 limited slip gear oil I had in the shop to top off with. Anyways, made a very noticeable improvment over the 2.73's. Nice and quiet. Diff isn't getting hot either. Must have been right I would highly reccomend this swap to anyone with 2.73's. Paid $60 for the gears shipped and $20 to have the oil pinion bearing pressed onto the new pinion. Other then that, a little time consuming taking all the measurements but not "hard" by any means.
 
S

superhuaman

New Member
Nov 8, 2004
907
0
0
Harrisburg, PA
Aug 4, 2006
#5
  • Aug 4, 2006
  • #5
That's great!
Welcome to the gear-swappers club
Remember, there are those who fix cars, and those who just drive them.
And you my friend, are firmly entrenched in the former group.
 

SPEEDYLIFSAVR

Founding Member
Sep 18, 2000
666
0
16
FL,89 LX 5.0
Aug 4, 2006
#6
  • Aug 4, 2006
  • #6
Cman88 said:
What?

Anyways, pattern seemed good so I buttoned it up and filled it up. Mostly royal purple, but being 4am, I had to also use some 80w-90 limited slip gear oil I had in the shop to top off with. Anyways, made a very noticeable improvment over the 2.73's. Nice and quiet. Diff isn't getting hot either. Must have been right I would highly reccomend this swap to anyone with 2.73's. Paid $60 for the gears shipped and $20 to have the oil pinion bearing pressed onto the new pinion. Other then that, a little time consuming taking all the measurements but not "hard" by any means.
Click to expand...

Cmann , I'm inspired by your post.....I think I will attempt my gear install myself . What did you use for a referance? Where did you go to get your pinion bearing pressed on?
 

jgfiveoh

New Member
May 8, 2006
102
0
0
Topeka, KS
Aug 4, 2006
#7
  • Aug 4, 2006
  • #7
don't mean to take over the thread but as i understand u can slightly heat up the pinion bearing with a propane torch and it slides right on
 
C

Cman88

Member
May 11, 2006
77
0
6
Aug 4, 2006
#8
  • Aug 4, 2006
  • #8
SPEEDYLIFSAVR said:
Cmann , I'm inspired by your post.....I think I will attempt my gear install myself . What did you use for a referance? Where did you go to get your pinion bearing pressed on?
Click to expand...

I just used various information on this site as well as Alldata. I should point out I used to be a mechanic, so I do have some mechanical background. Its not hard however and I am sure with some patience you can figure it out. Just slow down, take your time.

The bearing was pressed on by a local machine shop. Its also been pointed out that some heat should free the bearing as well... I just didn't want to take that route, so I had it pressed.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

K
Drivetrain '87 5.0 Installing New Ring Gear and Pinion - Pattern Questions
  • karhoot
  • Apr 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
493
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 9, 2026
Mindseye007
O
8.8 Pinion Nut Leak
  • OX1
  • Jan 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
935
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 5, 2026
OX1
O
3
Eight inches is enough for me...
  • 351MooseStang
  • Nov 27, 2025
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
5
Views
678
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Mar 2, 2026
Bullitt347
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
820
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
S
Drivetrain 8.8 Pinion and 302 rear main seal leaks after replacing. 93 5.0 with t-5
  • Steigy4827
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
774
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 1, 2026
Steigy4827
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?