shaker 500 or shaker 1000

dohc97

Aug 9, 2010
I test drove a 2012 GT today with the Shaker 500. Is it worth to upgrade to a Shaker 1000? The dealer doesn't have any Mustang available with the 1000.

Last Monday, I test drove a 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8. Between the two, I am leaning towards the GT. It has a better interior, the quality seems better, I like the seat better, I like the steering wheel better, and the 6 speed is much better than the one in the SRT8.

• Sponsors (?)

I have had both and to me, the 500 is fine, but then again, I listen to 60's stuff and the hearing is old to...lol. Some feel the entire system needs to be different but I did not like the loss of trunk space for the 1000.

1000 no doubt. I couldn't care less about trunk space in mine since it's not my daily driver. I like my music loud and I like my car pretty stock so I don't want to go hacking it up with aftermarket stereos.

The 1000 is for those that like to tell the world you like boom boom boom, whether they want to know or not. GF has a GT convertible with 1000 and hated the room it takes up in the trunk. I pulled the speakers and amps out and we now have 25% more trunk space.

Aftermarket systems cost less, offer more and sound better. But I love the Sync, though it has a few bugs in it at times.
Consider what is important to you, look at what is available from Ford and the aftermarket, then decide.

The 500 is not bad at all, actually seems too bass'y to me.
The highs are good but its lacking in mid range. Im satisfied with
it and feel no need to spend $$ on upgrade. But if you really love loud
undistorted music hold out for the 1000.

My 2005 convertible has the 500 installed and I love the sound. It sounds pretty tight with or without the Top down.
I've tried it with lots of Heavy Metal, MTV ****, Jazz, you name it.

The head unit is **** though. I think it's the same with the 500 or the 1000.
It skips, takes noticeable time to load a CD, and in my case, it stopped reading all disks and it's gonna cost me $200 to fix the mechanism so I'm replacing it ASAP.

The speakers are awesome though :p

I have the 500 in my Mustang and it's a pretty good stock system. It'll boom half decent, sounds good on road trips, but nothing to brag about. A friend of mine had the 1000 in his 05 and he claimed it would Boom Boom. According to a lot of online posts the only difference is the trunk woofers and a couple of amps for those drivers, all the other components (head unit, speakers) are the same. In my opinion if you want a high end system just get the stock 500 and have the components replaced.
On another note, some people call the head units "skippers". I've only had a few issues with burned CDs. Everything else works great including Sirius radio.

AzPete, That is one beautius GT/CS.!

Hi all,

To clarify the features of the Shaker system differences, the Shaker 1000 has enhanced bass performance, with two 10" subwoofers in trunk. It has 580 watts of average power and 1000 watts of peak power, compared to 240 watts of average power and 500 watts of peak power in the Shaker 500. The sound quality in either is great, so your choice depends on your personal preference.

~Natasha