Fox Shaved door handles, and push button start????

Blue85

Dec 25, 2020
Florida
So I am finishing up my dash wire disaster project and have everything working, I think. Any how I am thinking about shaving the door handles and going with the push button start. Just wanted to see what others are doing and if you have had any good or bad experience with either. I would rather do the wiring now that everything is out of the car.

• Sponsors (?)

I always liked the 94+ ford ranger handles over shaved handles with poppers. As I've gotten older I really like the old school look of the factory handles. I had push button start in one of my foxes. It worked but the steering column looked dumb with the key spot up there. Had to take the steering wheel lock out and wire the accessory stuff to switches. My push button just started the car. It was a race car....that I drove daily for 3 years.

I think it would be ridiculous to have a modern push button style start and still have to use the key to turn everything on and unlock the steering wheel. Only way to make it seem right is to shave the lock cylinder off the column and custom make a keyless column shroud.

I think it would be ridiculous to have a modern push button style start and still have to use the key to turn everything on and unlock the steering wheel. Only way to make it seem right is to shave the lock cylinder off the column and custom make a keyless column shroud.

That was always my impression with the push-button systems i always saw installed in cars. You still needed to put the key in the ignition and turn it to on, and then hit the button to start. Seemed like an extra step because the key would still work if you just bumped it forward that extra bit.

I have push-button in my daily drivers, and i would need to wire it up exactly like those systems in order to really appreciate it. Since it seems like a huge wiring project, it's just not worth it to me. Added complexity leads to increased risk of "why the hell won't my car start".

Reactions: 1 user
Do yourself a favor find some donor doors if your going to metal work them anyway, clean doors are getting harder and harder to find, one thing that will make a lot of ppl walk away from buying if you ever sell is a car with shaved doors, seen guys trying to sell sets they pulled of cars for long time too.

Both of these ideas sound awful.

Doesn't LMR have low profile door handles anyway?

Edit: Just looked, they do have them, $175.
That's way cheaper and surely more reliable than shaving them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
OK I think you guys talked me out of the shaved door handles, I was 50 50 on that one. Just had it stuck in my mind that if the battery died then what. I know there are other safe guards but I just kept thinking about the bad side.

As far as the push button still undecided. I dont have the dash in the car and I have pulled all the wires not used since the harness was a nightmare of cut and spliced wires from the guy who put the 87 dash in an 85. So I have aftermarket fuel injection, a dakota digital dash and a MSD box to install. My plan at this point is to get everything installed and make the car run, then I will worry about the push button.

Yuck

Attachments

• 7DAE8129-147F-4EEE-9295-B618B4DFB544.jpeg
    7DAE8129-147F-4EEE-9295-B618B4DFB544.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 302336E5-E759-4879-BE19-683A1261C5DD.jpeg
    302336E5-E759-4879-BE19-683A1261C5DD.jpeg
    839.9 KB · Views: 33
  • EE8CDDAA-9FF6-4057-A2C9-EA50A66A15D1.jpeg
    EE8CDDAA-9FF6-4057-A2C9-EA50A66A15D1.jpeg
    714.8 KB · Views: 32
Simply just lazy. My work truck ignition is broke and no longer requires a key. I have found it “easy” to just jump on and go.
No fumbling with keys, digging in my pocket again I think I have just gotten key lazy

I run a little over 500 boosted crank HP one the stock ignition system with a Kenne Bell Boost-a-Spark keeping the coil saturated at a constant 14.0 volts through a set of copper plugs. The spark is [hot] and [fat].

The ignition systems on Fox bodies, including the distributors, are [not] the weak link in these cars by any means. The electrical system leading [up to] the ignition system is where I would focus my resources. (3G Alt, new wires, new grounds, eliminate ground loops (factory or aftermarket)).

It’s pretty rough. Now they are sorted out. I will mount the aftermarket components where the original computer was in the kick panel. Once that’s done I will final tape everything and get it secured.

I run a little over 500 boosted crank HP one the stock ignition system with a Kenne Bell Boost-a-Spark keeping the coil saturated at a constant 14.0 volts through a set of copper plugs. The spark is [hot] and [fat].

The ignition systems on Fox bodies, including the distributors, are [not] the weak link in these cars by any means. The electrical system leading [up to] the ignition system is where I would focus my resources. (3G Alt, new wires, new grounds, eliminate ground loops (factory or aftermarket)).
What’s the benefit of a 3g alt? And yes the new components are getting all new wire from the fuse panel. Also making lots of grounds and sealing them the best I can once secure.

The original alternator was undersized even when new.

Personally i wouldn't add the msd before that mess is sorted out.
In fact, i probably wouldn't add it at all, the stock ignition can handle pretty much anything you could throw at it.

• Agree
The original alternator was undersized even when new.

Personally i wouldn't add the msd before that mess is sorted out.
In fact, i probably wouldn't add it at all, the stock ignition can handle pretty much anything you could throw at it.
Stock ignition is gone. The car was carbed when I got it. Installing a FiTech now to get away from the carb set up. I believe the distributor is a 2 wire MSD.