• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Shelby Drop & tire clearance......

  • Thread starter Thread starter red302
  • Start date Start date Jan 3, 2007

red302

Founding Member
Nov 21, 1998
881
0
17
Peru, IL
Jan 3, 2007
#1
  • Jan 3, 2007
  • #1
I'm rebuilding/replacing the entire front suspension on my '68 fastback, as well as adding a Granada disc brake conversion. While I'm at it, my intent was to do the "Shelby Drop" also. The problem is that front tire to fender clearance is very minimal as it is right now. I've just put a set of 225-45-17's and new wheels on the front of the car so a different tire/wheel combination is out of the question.
....My question is for those of you who have done the shelby drop. How much does relocating the upper control arm an inch lower, push the wheel out towards the fender lip. How much clearance will I loose if I do this?
........Thanks for any help!
 
C

chromedog

New Member
Jan 13, 2006
554
0
0
worlds center for speed
Jan 3, 2007
#2
  • Jan 3, 2007
  • #2
actually, you will loose less than half an inch of tire clearance, the amount of drop isnt proportional. i did the drop, and added 1" lowering coils, and lost maybe 1 1/4 inch (im taking into account 6 cyl. springs under a 351) maybe someone who did the drop with no other mods can chime in...
 

dodgestang

Active Member
Dec 15, 2003
1,360
0
37
Cecil County, MD
Jan 3, 2007
#3
  • Jan 3, 2007
  • #3
Doing the Shelby drop may lower the car a little, but it enables you to run a WIDER tire on the front not skinner. With the drop you can run more camber on the alignment and the tire tips in to the body on cornering as opposed to out towards the fender lip (like they do in stock height and alignment)
 
R

rc4mike

Member
Oct 10, 2006
142
0
16
Jan 3, 2007
#4
  • Jan 3, 2007
  • #4
I have 235/40 17 wheels on my 65 GT. Just did the shelby drop over the weekend. I have 620 1" lowering coils. Front end lowered about 1/4" +- after the shelby mod. Have not aligned it yet, but it's close. I have about 7/8" from top of tire to the fender measured vertically with the side of the tire about 3/4" from the outer edge of the fender, measured horizontally.

Mike
 

red302

Founding Member
Nov 21, 1998
881
0
17
Peru, IL
Jan 4, 2007
#5
  • Jan 4, 2007
  • #5
Thanks for the info guys. I just came in from the garage, after finishing drilling the new holes in the shock towers. I forgot to tell you that I'm also going with 560# grab-a-track coils that are supposed to lower the front an additional inch besides doing the shelby drop. After hearing from you, I decided to go ahead with it and see what happens.

.....rc4mike....what is the backspacing on your 17" rims?
 
R

rc4mike

Member
Oct 10, 2006
142
0
16
Jan 4, 2007
#6
  • Jan 4, 2007
  • #6
Front wheels are 17x7 with 3.5" BS. The rears are 18x8 with 5" BS

Mike
 

dodgestang

Active Member
Dec 15, 2003
1,360
0
37
Cecil County, MD
Jan 4, 2007
#7
  • Jan 4, 2007
  • #7
Might want to double check that front measurement of backspacing Mike.
 

red302

Founding Member
Nov 21, 1998
881
0
17
Peru, IL
Jan 5, 2007
#8
  • Jan 5, 2007
  • #8
Yes, the backspacing on my 17" x 7" front rims is 4", and that's really close on the '68. In fact on tight cornering on the drivers side I had a little rubbing. And that's before I'm doing the lowering or the shelby drop. That's why I'm concerned with the clearance after the drop. Any other input???
 

ga289stocker

Member
May 23, 2006
238
0
16
Sugar Hill, Ga
Jan 5, 2007
#9
  • Jan 5, 2007
  • #9
I've got 17x8 TT 4.75 bs and run a 225/45/17 on the front w/ stock suspension
and have not rubbing issues, that bs is the key though. If i ever do the shelby drop i see no reason i could not run a 235 or possible more in the front as dodgestang has mentioned w/ more clearance ...
 
F

FastSVO

Founding Member
Jun 28, 1999
194
3
18
Los Angeles
Jan 5, 2007
#10
  • Jan 5, 2007
  • #10
Do the 520# grab a trak coils provide a better street ride than the 620# units?
 
R

rc4mike

Member
Oct 10, 2006
142
0
16
Jan 5, 2007
#11
  • Jan 5, 2007
  • #11
dodgestang said:
Might want to double check that front measurement of backspacing Mike.
Click to expand...


checked my paperwork and with the wheel guy and my fronts are special order 17x7 with 3.5" back spacing. They fit fine with the 1" lowering 620 coils and shelby drop

Mike
 

dodgestang

Active Member
Dec 15, 2003
1,360
0
37
Cecil County, MD
Jan 5, 2007
#12
  • Jan 5, 2007
  • #12
rc4mike said:
checked my paperwork and with the wheel guy and my fronts are special order 17x7 with 3.5" back spacing. They fit fine with the 1" lowering 620 coils and shelby drop

Mike
Click to expand...

ok. Thanks.
 

dodgestang

Active Member
Dec 15, 2003
1,360
0
37
Cecil County, MD
Jan 5, 2007
#13
  • Jan 5, 2007
  • #13
red302 said:
Yes, the backspacing on my 17" x 7" front rims is 4", and that's really close on the '68. In fact on tight cornering on the drivers side I had a little rubbing. And that's before I'm doing the lowering or the shelby drop. That's why I'm concerned with the clearance after the drop. Any other input???
Click to expand...

FWIW I run a 245 40 17 on the front of my 65 with the shelby and an aggresive alignment with 3 degrees camber. I don't even have the fender lips rolled and I don't rub. Before that I ran 235 45 17 on the front with 1.5 degrees camber and didn't rub. This is on a 17x8 with 4.75 backspacing.
 

red302

Founding Member
Nov 21, 1998
881
0
17
Peru, IL
Jan 5, 2007
#14
  • Jan 5, 2007
  • #14
Thanks guys, I'll let ya know how it turns out!
 

347Fastback

Member
Nov 30, 2003
340
0
17
Central Coast
Jan 6, 2007
#15
  • Jan 6, 2007
  • #15
I have the same setup with 620s with 235 45 17 on the front , no issues...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
173
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
305-45-17 tires on Pony wheels (17")?
  • TTSaleen
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
742
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 25, 2026
TTSaleen
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
372
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
338
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?