• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

Short Tube Headers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silver05GT
  • Start date Start date Jul 5, 2005
S

Silver05GT

New Member
May 9, 2005
32
0
0
Jul 5, 2005
#1
  • Jul 5, 2005
  • #1
Whose got the best shorty headers and whats the benefits of shorty headers and long tube headers. What types of power increases will I get from shorty headers and also what types of sound will I get if any. Im just curious as to what types of changes I can expect from the headers. Also is it possible to install the shorties myself or do I have to have them installed.

Thanks John
 
S

subzero05

New Member
Dec 21, 2004
190
0
0
Jul 5, 2005
#2
  • Jul 5, 2005
  • #2
the ford racing headers are probably the best fitting ones right now, but Dyno results have been verified at only 3hp!..I ended up selling my JBA headers due to the lack of performance they generate..not worth the $$ IMO
 
C

cdemot02

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
16
0
0
Austin,TX
Jul 5, 2005
#3
  • Jul 5, 2005
  • #3
BBK is coming out with some. I'd wait for those.
 
L

lagamm

New Member
Mar 30, 2005
25
0
0
Jul 5, 2005
#4
  • Jul 5, 2005
  • #4
Reading mags it seems that long tube have better gains.
Shorties are alot easier to install though.
 
N

Nick85

Banned
May 28, 2005
99
0
0
Jul 5, 2005
#5
  • Jul 5, 2005
  • #5
subzero05 said:
the ford racing headers are probably the best fitting ones right now, but Dyno results have been verified at only 3hp!..I ended up selling my JBA headers due to the lack of performance they generate..not worth the $$ IMO
Click to expand...



Erm now I'm confused....I've read that JBA Long tube headers/ H-Pipe, and a good exhaust yeild 25 hp gains....

Even if it doesn't give major power gains surely it gives the needed airflow for a supercharged engine...
 
S

Silver05GT

New Member
May 9, 2005
32
0
0
Jul 6, 2005
#6
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #6
What kind of sound benefits can I expect from the shorty headers and also my main question is how difficult to install. I understand the lack in hp improvements but I like the idea of sound and better flow of air. But if thats the case Im just going to get some mac shorties for like 400 instead of JBA shorties for 700 do you guys think thats a wise install and Ive done motor work before I have a 1970 Mach 1 with a 408 stroker that I worked on so I have some experience but I am more concerned with space I dont want to have to deal with it if it requires pull the engine out slightly i just want to know if they can fit in there easily.

Thanks John
 
S

SpazHairlip

New Member
Jun 13, 2005
44
0
0
Jul 6, 2005
#7
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #7
I think that you won’t see any real gains in performance or sound over the stock manifold if you get shorties. The stock ones are very very good. If you going to SC your car and go bonzai with the boost, you’ll want long tubes, free flow, pipes, a fuel pump and 39lb or better injectors.

If you’re just looking to add a few HP and make you car sound louder/meaner/etc, just do axel-backs.
 
M

Moondog

New Member
Mar 30, 2005
17
0
0
Jul 6, 2005
#8
  • Jul 6, 2005
  • #8
Noticed that Justin Burchman (the guy who broke 11 in a n/a 05) had a set of bassani headers on his 05. I asked him about them the other day - the set are prototypes - but bassani is working on a set of shorties for release soon. If you saw the article in mmff wrt the bassani cat back, x-pipe & high flow cat install (40hp with tune), it really makes you (at least me) wonder what the full bassani exhaust system & tune is capable of producing? I am looking forward to see what bassani has to offer.
 
M

Matt H.

New Member
May 23, 2005
27
0
0
Jul 10, 2005
#9
  • Jul 10, 2005
  • #9
I would definately wait for the bassani headers, I called them and they said they would add around 20 hp
 
R

royb

New Member
Apr 24, 2004
273
0
0
Jul 11, 2005
#10
  • Jul 11, 2005
  • #10
SpazHairlip said:
I think that you won’t see any real gains in performance or sound over the stock manifold if you get shorties. .
Click to expand...

I've got the shorty's & the sound difference is HUGE.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

W
Dipstick
  • wccurtis1963
  • Jun 13, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
220
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
Willybill32
Engine Keeping O2 sensors lit with long tube headers
  • keel
  • Jul 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
213
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 21, 2026
Qtrhrse23
G
S550 Headers
  • gray owl
  • Feb 1, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
0
Views
290
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Feb 1, 2026
gray owl
G
New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
103
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
R
bbk shorty header to mid pipe gasket
  • randyyy
  • Sep 29, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
442
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 29, 2025
randyyy
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?