Signals don't work. Hazards and switch

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
my turn signals dont work. they dont work with the hazards on either. nothing by the lever.

my stereo works, my blower motor works, all dash lights work.

all fuses are good.

wtf? i just had the car to best buy and long story short, my ignition switch was loose. so it was ziptied into place. i have read the ignition switch being the culprit, will cause my blower motor not to work also?

i dont have a multimeter. what can i check? or should i just replace the ignition switch?

• Sponsors (?)

my turn signals dont work. they dont work with the hazards on either. nothing by the lever.

my stereo works, my blower motor works, all dash lights work.

all fuses are good.

wtf? i just had the car to best buy and long story short, my ignition switch was loose. so it was ziptied into place. i have read the ignition switch being the culprit, will cause my blower motor not to work also?

i dont have a multimeter. what can i check? or should i just replace the ignition switch?

Will you brights work when you pull the blinker handle towards you?

Not sure what best buy was doing on your car? I know you said the fuses are fine but maybe they pulled a fuse or two and it didn't get put back? :shrug: Just something to check.

the lights do work when i pull back the lever.

every fuse is pushed in. i went into best buy for this; my car kept losing power to the deck. i got the car with no radio at all. my harness was a mess, so i had them do it for $40.

i'd be driving and with no consistancy i would lose power, then it came back on 2-3 seconds later. he started feeling around and got under the dash. we narrowed it down to the harness going to the ignition switch.

then he saw the switch was loose. so he wrapped 2 zipties around the ignition switch to secure it. no issues with the deck stopping now, except on my way home i had no blinkers.

the heater works, blows on all levels. flashers blink all lights besides blinkers, all dash lumination works, i dont know what else to check. from what i've read there is something behind the dash for the blinkers or its my ignition switch?

i noticed since he tightened the switch down and the contact fell off, it no longer "clicks" when i turn the key on and backwards. it just turns over smoothly now :shrug: everything else on the whole car functions as it should beside blinkers.

281pony,

I have the exact same problem, someone broke into my stang and stole the stereo amongst other things, and the wiring was all screwed up. Repaired, and now everything works fine, except the turn signals. I have zip ties in place also, but tomorrow I will be buying a new ignition swith for the harness. I will post the results, hopefully thie is the issue.

nobody huh?

i just went to replace my ignition switch. i put my work light on the floor board and found something.

a really small spring and ball. im assuming this is why my ignition no longer "snaps" into place with key forward and backward? does this NEED to be in there?

im going to swap the switch, any more involved then this, and it goes back to best buy or they pay for it. it worked when it went in..

Well I changed the ignition module and found out that the old one is fine. This did not change a thing, signals still not working. Just thinking 281pony, we have something in common with the screwed up wiring, this very well could be our problem. Maybe some wiring was mixed up when the new stereo was installed?

no wiring was mixed up. he sautered? together 2 wires that had butt connectors. then he found the plug on the ignition switch was loose.

i replaced the switch, it works as it should now. all wires/plugs are connected, deck operates as it should.. just no blinkers.

is there a fuse or something i can check at this point? JT? jricher?

Shamelessly stolen from JRicker's site..
mustang-87-93_Instrument-Cluster.gif

I'm assuming the parking lights work, just not blink?

the inner parking lights work, not the corners. front and rear are out for signal, as well as dash markers.

i printed the wiring schematic. i am supposed to take it back to best buy tomorrow and talk with the manager. it will be my 6th trip back, the last 5 were finding this issue. then it got fixed and this is here now, lol.

they said on the phone, if i need to take it to ford they will pay. however, they want me to get it fixed then bring a bill.. F that. i don't have a multi meter so the schematic should be enough to get it fixed.

Something you could check if you haven't already, if they were pullin on wires or anything, it is possible that they may have pulled a wire out of the back of the hazard switch connector. It has happened to me a few times and that is always the first thing I check if my blinkers are not working, and that is the problem everytime. The pins come out fairly easy on the back side of the connector. Mine was all broken on my old one and I ended up having to go to a junkyard and getting a new connecter. The wires still come out the back sometimes over time, but not nearly as bad. Thats what I would check. Just pull your hazard switch out and see if any wires have come out the back of the connector that plugs into the hazard switch. Fairly easy to do and can save you a load of headaches if that is your problem :shrug:

wow. i really hate this car today.

i took it to best buy and the guy tried blowing me off on the issue. i said just come look really quick, and we found the issue. one of the wires pulled out of the connection on the ignition switch. i didn't see it tucked up against the top of the column area.

so we plugged it back in, blinkers work. i go to leave... car won't start. check everything, fuses, connections, nothing. so he comes out, i try it and car starts.

so now, blinkers work, but the car has a hard time starting. if my key is flipped a certain way, it wont ever start. with the lettering facing me, it starts with 1-2 trys. wtf is this now? :mad:

yeah its his old car. it didn't have these issues until i put in the stereo.

i put in a new ignition switch. it started great, no issues. then once again, i got my blinkers to work and the ignition is acting up.

i have not had a SINGLE mustang without electrical issues. i talk alot of trash about ford electrical and with good reason apparently :rolleyes:

There is a turn signal relay near the radio area. Maybe he knocked it loose.

I see you fixed it...

You need to fix the ignition switch problem.

I had the same problem with mine about a year ago. I found some wires had been pulled out of the back side of the connector at the emergency flasher switch. Replaced connector and all was well again. I know you say you got it fixed but since these connectors are notorious for this, it might be worth a look. I forgot the color of the wire but you can use the schematic in this thread. Disconnect the switch and give the wire a light tug to make sure they're secure. If these wires are loose, they can cause your signals and flashers to fail.

oops sorry missed idgt's post. What he said!!

yes this use to be my old car,i texted john a bit and i couldnt help much. But i can say it's something that best buy did! Cause the ONLY electrical problem i had with the car for the 4 years i had it, was when i installed the 351 and the POS dizzy i was sold had a bad module!peace

john:p