smog and egr delete

ok so this have been discussed a lot with lots of differing opinions. here is my situation, Im swaping the 5.0 in a rx7. i pulled the egr and smog (plugged the holes in the heads and blocked off egr hole) off to make things simpler and they both needed replaced if i kept them. If i get the simulator plug will it shut off my smog codes as well all egr codes. are there other things i need to plug off or think about. ive heard people say it will run rich and others say the ecu will not be affected.

• Sponsors (?)

The egr does actually do stuff to make the engine more efficient. It helps with ping ( spark knock ). The resistor ( egr plug delete ) tricks the computer to think the egr is working.....therefore making it susceptible to ping under certain cruise conditions. You may not notice a difference. The computer strategy will add fuel to protect the engine from ping if it knows the egr is missing. It may also mess with the computer controlled timing ( haven't verified that ). Usually, driveability won't suffer with either of those removed.

A check engine light is just a bulb....take it out. It probably won't be hooked up to your rx7 dash anyway....if you want to be a cheap ricer about it.

The best way to tackle this is to replace the egr and drive with confidence. The smog stuff won't affect the car at all as long as you aren't using factory mustang catalytic converters. Car won't run rich and you'll get all available power.

ok so this have been discussed a lot with lots of differing opinions. here is my situation, Im swaping the 5.0 in a rx7. i pulled the egr and smog (plugged the holes in the heads and blocked off egr hole) off to make things simpler and they both needed replaced if i kept them. If i get the simulator plug will it shut off my smog codes as well all egr codes. are there other things i need to plug off or think about. ive heard people say it will run rich and others say the ecu will not be affected.
Why don't you spend a few $ and learn for yourself how the ECC-IV works?
Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service, and Modify : All EEC-IV Systems on Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Cars and Light Trucks 1988-1993 1st Edition

Get the most from your Ford Electronic Fuel Injection system with this 400 page book. The book also has over 500 photos and illustration and includes EEC-IV diagrams and hundreds of specifications. It also has a special chapter filled with definitive recommendations and "insider tips" for high performance tuning of the Ford EEC-IV system.

See Amazon product ASIN 0837603013View: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Injection-Electronic-Engine-Control/dp/0837603013

If it keeps the computer happy and possibly helps the air quality and car run better for so little weight, I agree with jrichker. I have seen enough differing info about how plugs and resistor packs work that putting it back or programming it out seem like the best two answers.