• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Smog Check Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cindy8588
  • Start date Start date Sep 3, 2018
C

Cindy8588

New Member
Sep 3, 2018
1
0
1
Moreno Valley
Sep 3, 2018
#1
  • Sep 3, 2018
  • #1
Hello everyone!!! I always read these forums and finally became a memer. I need help with the smog check. They say my car's computer won't communicate with thier system. Check engine light is not on. OBD2 connects without a problem and has no error codes. Fuses look fine. I don't know what could be wrong. I have a 2000 Mustang GT. I replaced the engine 2 years ago.
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Sep 3, 2018
#2
  • Sep 3, 2018
  • #2
Are you aware that a 2000 Model year ODB2 car is too old for the PCM to auto VIN ID itself? IF the smog check site is failing you because the PCM won't auto VIN report then they are WRONG. The smog shop will have the enter the VIN number manually.

I don't know what year ODB2 auto VIN ID reporting was required. I can say that my 2000 GT does not. Where as my 2005 F150 does. I don't remember IF my 2002 does.

I believe that for 2006+ model year, auto VIN reporting is required.
 
Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
2000 Mustang PATS - Broken Key and Wire - HELP!
  • Laree Taylor
  • May 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
284
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 12, 2026
manicmechanic007
T
Fuel P0193 on a 2003 3.8 v6
  • Treemaster5000
  • Aug 18, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
73
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 18, 2026
Treemaster5000
T
Resolved Wiring electric fan
  • cbac89
  • Aug 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
164
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
cbac89
Mustang II 4 cyl gear hunting and possibly messed up vacuum system
  • oesterreicher
  • May 31, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
11
Views
445
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Jun 14, 2026
manicmechanic007
Electrical Issues with my 2006 mustang gt
  • VerneVdV
  • May 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
0
Views
166
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech May 22, 2026
VerneVdV
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?