Smoothing the cowl vents

• Sponsors (?)

The only purpose of the cowl vent is to bring fresh air into the interior of the car. This is where the heater box and the driver's foot vent get its air supply from. Shaving the cowl vents will render the heater and driver foot vent useless.

The engine gets cooled through the grill which blows on the radiator. Also alot of air comes in from underneath the vehicle

its being done purely for looks but I didnt want to render the plumbing completely useless and was wondering where other people got the air from. Its not a big deal, we will figure it out just thought I would ask.

one2gamble said:
its being done purely for looks but I didnt want to render the plumbing completely useless and was wondering where other people got the air from. Its not a big deal, we will figure it out just thought I would ask.

Well there are drain holes in the 2 ends under the fenders, you could cut them out larger and get your air form the wheel wells behind the mudflap.

thats what I was thinking historic, though something a little "cleaner" than just some random holes..thnx and the cowl area is far from air tight, the damn thing has holes in it.

I may try and see if theres a way to get air from the fender area. Anyway thnx everyone.

Yep, you can cut some holes in there and then "outline" them with metal to keep things stiff! The ones I have seen at the track actually look pretty cool.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

car3.gif

HistoricMustang said:
You got to love this "rot" stuff.

I have seen some with holes drilled from inside the engine compartment into the cowl area using a hole saw. About the only way to get air in there but in talking with these individuals they did pick up some fumes from the engine bay.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

just an idea, but if you did this, then drilled holes in the rear fender aprons, couldn't you connect the two holes (per side) with some flexible hose? between that and sucking air from the drain holes, i think that would provide enough flow. or i could just be an idiot.