SN95 vs New Edge (which should i choose?)

\\ J //

Jun 24, 2009
im a fox guy at heart but i need a newer car because of all the obligations i will have in the near future and if i keep my fox any longer i will just go all out and spend every penny in my pocket im just looking for something for a fast&daily ride

i have found a 94 hardtop cobra in great condition sitting on 18" chrome saleens has clear headlights Crystle White w/black leather which the owner is selling for $3700 i can probably negotiate the price down to $3000 since he seems pretty nice

i have also found a 4.6 99 gt at a dealership for $4500 (which id have to finance) fully loaded options silver in color with black leather/interior

as you can see the prices are close to a steal but still fair as a price its so hard for me to choose thats why i come to you guys. i wanna hear opinions THANKS!!!

• Sponsors (?)

If it was a DOHC 4.6 i'd say get it, but just a GT? I'd jump on the hardtop convertible. That wins on unique factor alone.

And if you can afford $3,000 cash, then u have to factor in your finance amount of $4500 with interest.....not just $4500.

Plus the 94 cobra already has wheels.....thats atleast $1,000 right there in mods.

obviously you'll get a biased answer asking in the 94-95 forum but i think that will be a better car all around. the 99 will be more expensive in the long run to mod and maintain. 302 motors last forever and since your a fox man, you'll feel more at home with that car. i'm also thinking we're reading you wrong and its just a coupe. if thats a hardtop convertible, you let me know, i can tell you don't want that car without question and you can give me his number i'll make sure to drive that point home for you..... :D

Hardtop Cobra..... hands down not even a debate and not just saying that b/c I have a 94 Cobra. Look up the #'s on them there are not many of them around and at that price thats a hell of a deal. I wonder if the owner knows how hard those are to come by?

im a fox guy at heart but i need a newer car because of all the obligations i will have in the near future and if i keep my fox any longer i will just go all out and spend every penny in my pocket im just looking for something for a fast&daily ride

i have found a 94 hardtop cobra in great condition sitting on 18" chrome saleens has clear headlights Crystle White w/black leather which the owner is selling for $3700 i can probably negotiate the price down to $3000 since he seems pretty nice

i have also found a 4.6 99 gt at a dealership for $4500 (which id have to finance) fully loaded options silver in color with black leather/interior

as you can see the prices are close to a steal but still fair as a price its so hard for me to choose thats why i come to you guys. i wanna hear opinions THANKS!!!

Where in this post does it say this is a "Hardtop Convertible Cobra"?

GT:shrug:

Where in this post does it say this is a "Hardtop Convertible Cobra"?

GT:shrug:

The words "hardtop" is what these peeps are focusing on. A coupe is normally not called a hardtop - that term is usually used for convertibles only. However, the hardtop convertible was only available in 1995 - all 1994 Cobra convertibles are supposedly Indy Pace cars (GT's upconverted to Cobras).

This is a good point to confirm - is this a 94 or a 95? A Cobra coupe or convertible?

First question, since I didn't jump on the assumption that it's a hardtop vert:

How important is a convertible? If it's a big deal, then you want the 99 cuz I don't believe the 94 is actually a vert (if it is a vert, this is a no-brainer!).

Personally, I'd rather have a 94 cobra than a 99 GT vert, but I'm really partial to pushrod v8s. Easier to mod than a 4.6

95vert383aod - You'd have to find a guy that's selling one, I don't think they're made aftermarket

I read the first post as a hardtop coupe, so I was a little bit humoured when I saw the responses.

Personally I would take the 94 as they're becoming harder and harder to find in modified but clean state.

As well, you have a better grasp on the pushrod engine and you'll find that upgrades to a 94 can be found more easily than the new mod motors. That line is getting thinner by the day though, so if you have time to wait until the right deals come around, the 4.6 mill might be a good choice down the road.

That said, the newer car might not have as many problems, and if the car is a lemon, you can probably bring it back to the dealership within 30 days to tell him to jam it up his hoo haw.

You are in a biased area though... I was almost tempted to say "If you need to ask, buy the 99" but figured I'd be the nice guy I am :nice:

Not to go off subject....but where would one find a hardtop as an upgrade from a soft top?
i remember seeing a thread a while ago on this forum about a company that makes them aftermarket. i also remember looking at the link that was rpovided and thinking that they were alot more expensive than i was willing to pay for one. i don't remember what the company was though but i think killercanary said it wa sin PA

i remember seeing a thread a while ago on this forum about a company that makes them aftermarket. i also remember looking at the link that was rpovided and thinking that they were alot more expensive than i was willing to pay for one. i don't remember what the company was though but i think killercanary said it wa sin PA

Looks like Smooth Line makes a few types for 94-04:

Smooth Line: Hardtop: Mustang 1994-2004

Both prices are very low and would make me leary honestly. Plus, its just as easy to sink money into either of those cars as it is your fox. They are Mustangs after all. If youre looking to stay away from banking money into a fox, I would buy something like a V8 Dodge Dakota or something you would feel less willing to mod, but still has some power for you in a small package.

"but i need a newer car because of all the obligations i will have in the near future"

We missed reliability and one car is 15 years old and the other is 10 years old. What repairs have been made on each and what are the mileages?