Sneaky98gt Detailed: 2002 F-250 Powerstroke

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
So, I got a Porter Cable and some M105/M205 a few months back. Wanting to learn as much as I could, I decided that I wanted to start on a vehicle that was really bad. My brother's 250k+ mile F-250 became the perfect candidate. While it doesn't have any dents, or more than a couple large scratches, the paint overall was hazing horribly and had swirls/water spots out the whazoo. He also removed the "4x4" sticker on the rear quarter, and the bumpers on the doors, which left outlines and a noticeable 'shadow' that he wanted removed.

The process:

Wash
-Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash, double strength

Prep
-Full 50/50 IPA wipedown

Clay
-Meguiar's Clay Bar

Paint Correction
-Meguiar's M105 with Orange Pad; 3 passes
-Meguiar's M205 with White Pad; 1 pass

Paint Protection
-Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Wax
-Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 as a sealant

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures before I finished compounding. But as mentioned earlier, you can imagine how bad a 250k mile work truck that has sat outside its entire life would look....Anyways, here's a few after pictures with my crappy point-and-shoot and a video of him sled-pulling shortly after I detailed it.

Lemme know what you think.

1000503b.jpg

1000506p.jpg

1000509n.jpg

1000521o.jpg

1000523i.jpg

1000528n.jpg

1000534w.jpg

1000537z.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

:rlaugh:Love the title

Looks like the abs plastic on the lower front bumper needs some product on it. The paint looks pretty good though! Did you use a hand spotlight to examine the paint while using the PC?

:rlaugh:Love the title

Looks like the abs plastic on the lower front bumper needs some product on it. The paint looks pretty good though! Did you use a hand spotlight to examine the paint while using the PC?

I was just doing the paint. He was taking care of the tires, wheels, bumpers, glass, etc. Matter of fact, he got something on that plastic not long after I took these pictures, and I just didn't get chance to get any newer ones after that.

I was using one of those big halogen shop lights as I was going over it. You can definitely tell that there's no swirls in it if you look at it in person, but I just couldn't get my 7 year old point-and-shoot to capture a decent photo using one of the lights. It was quite ridiculous how much better it looked, even after just the M105.

fantastic job! im impressed with how the bottom of the doors look seeing how much those tires stick out. good looking truck.

what speed did you use on the porter cable?

fantastic job! im impressed with how the bottom of the doors look seeing how much those tires stick out. good looking truck.

what speed did you use on the porter cable?

Thanks!

A lot of that black looking so good is the pictures I selected to show. There's plenty of rock chips right behind the front tires, but it's not nearly as bad as you would think.

I went speed 6 on the first two 105 passes, and 4.5ish on the 3rd pass. On the polish, I was around 3.5 or so. Honestly, I think you could get away without using the 205. If I would have slowed the last 105 pass down just a bit and lightened up the pressure, I think it would have finished out perfectly. I definitely think that's the way to go if someone is paying you to detail it. Would save an entire pass over the vehicle.

Nice job! Megs 105 and 205 is a nice combo! I used that combo plenty when I first started getting into detailing!

Thanks! So far, I love it. I've detailed this truck, my grandma's Mach 1, and a set of headlights with it so far. My Mustang is FAR overdue for it, I've got a couple more sets of headlights to do, and I just bought a new car that will really put my skills to the test. So I'll probably be starting several new threads in the next couple of weeks with some better before/after shots.

what???????? lol.

whats your plan of attack on your car? 105/205 combo or something different? what LSP are you thinkin?

Haha, that's her daily driver. Her "toy" is an 04 Lightning with a CAI, full exhaust, upper and lower pulley, and a tune. :D

The M105/205 is all I currently have. I may add to my collection at some point, but I've been very satisfied with it so far.

My plan is:

1. Clay
2. M105
3. M205
4. Meguiar's #16 or Autoglym HD (haven't decided yet)
5. Wolfgang DGPS.

:shrug:

Haha, that's her daily driver. Her "toy" is an 04 Lightning with a CAI, full exhaust, upper and lower pulley, and a tune. :D

The M105/205 is all I currently have. I may add to my collection at some point, but I've been very satisfied with it so far.

My plan is:

1. Clay
2. M105
3. M205
4. Meguiar's #16 or Autoglym HD (haven't decided yet)
5. Wolfgang DGPS.

:shrug:

you have a pretty cool grandma - lol.

autoglym is brilliant on silver - good durability and beads like crazy. i used it on mine last summer. excellent chioce .

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...or-paint-correction-gloss-enhancement.842380/

Patience, my friend....patience. New times are coming Friday. It's a long shot, but there might be an SVO record set....

:D

Ok, so the weather/track sucked tonight. Only got a 12.62 @ 113 mph. That was on a dial-in run, only my second pass of the night. Not knowing how good the track was, I launched pretty easy on it, only got a 1.94 60'. After that, there was an oil-down and two wrecks, so I didn't even get in a 3rd pass. So no record tonight, or even anything close, so I'll keep the cat in the bag for now. :)

you have a pretty cool grandma - lol.

autoglym is brilliant on silver - good durability and beads like crazy. i used it on mine last summer. excellent chioce .

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...or-paint-correction-gloss-enhancement.842380/

I know I've told you before, but that is absolutely the most gorgeous silver Mustang I've ever seen. That Autoglym does seem to have done the trick for you. But I have used the #16 before, and I really liked it. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Seeing as how hard both waxes are to get ahold of, I hate to have to use either, lol.

Hell yeah, nice job dude. If you ever need another car to practice on, let me know lol

Dude, if I can find the time, I'd love to. I'll get up with you sometime if I think I can.

Reactions: 1 user
I know I've told you before, but that is absolutely the most gorgeous silver Mustang I've ever seen. That Autoglym does seem to have done the trick for you. But I have used the #16 before, and I really liked it. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Seeing as how hard both waxes are to get ahold of, I hate to have to use either, lol.

man i appreciate the compliment but my car isn't any nicer than yours. always wanted to try #16. if you do end up using it, be sure to post up pics .