Snow performance's Meth. Inj. kit (FI)

When I chose to go FI...I went with Vortech's S-trim liquid intercooled setup. The reviews are on target...get plenty of HP for the price. But just one thing I wanted to let people know is that this system has a drawback. The water intercooled system gets heat soaked rather quickly. The intercooler supplied...IMO...is rather small and you loose boost by the time it reaches the intake. So....

I want to loose the intercooler all together and go with Snow Performance's water/methanol kit. Reviews have been favorable from what I have read. One person I know has a 05 GT and runs his Vortech without an intercooler and stricly just uses a methanol injection kit. (He runs 12.00s on Street tires)

Should I keep the intercooler as it is and just add the methanol injection kit or loose the intercooler? Anyone have an opinion on this...or better yet an experience with this? Is $399 a decent price for a reliable methanol injection system?

Thanks for any help you can lend me on this decision.

• Sponsors (?)

im not sure about the price.....but get some alcohol injection....you will not be disappointed, i used to have it on my 50 trimmed Srt-4....it made such a difference and let me run higher boost safely which netted me low 11s spinning up the track

Alcohol injection??? Sounds more like a track use only type of application....I think. I planned on using the water/methanol injection using the stock window washing fluid reservoir like I have seen it done before. You get a whole lot more use out of it. Aren't they pretty much the same? I think water/methanol ends up giving you a lot lower boost temp and like 120 octane by the time it sprays and mixes.

Alcohol injection??? Sounds more like a track use only type of application....I think. I planned on using the water/methanol injection using the stock window washing fluid reservoir like I have seen it done before. You get a whole lot more use out of it. Aren't they pretty much the same? I think water/methanol ends up giving you a lot lower boost temp and like 120 octane by the time it sprays and mixes.

stock window washing fluid reservoir? I have seen that all the people (like you and me) that run their cars daily with lots of miles tend to go with the huge remote tank in the trunk. I believe it's 7 quarts. I myself am looking into adding a water/meth kit to the turbo I am getting, so just a thought. Good luck and please keep us up to date with your choice as I will be very interested in seeing your out come.

you could use the window washing fluid reservoir, all windshield washer fluid is is alcohol and water...-20 degree washer fluid is 38%alcohol and 62% water....i used to use it in my neon all the time...its the poor mans way of using alcohol injection....its also easier than mixing chemicals in your garage

No personal experience, but keep in mind that our cars were not designed to run on methanol. Alcohol can damage seals and o-rings, and possibly even the valves. Also keep in mind that the engine will run at a cooler temp with alcohol (don't know what), so you may have to restrict airflow or coolant flow to the radiator if the engine can't get up to a comfortable operating temperature.

lol pink and purple? ive never seen such things....my bad.....there is also whats called boost juice...which you can get in a lot of different mixes but its 40 bucks a gallon i believe

stock window washing fluid reservoir? I have seen that all the people (like you and me) that run their cars daily with lots of miles tend to go with the huge remote tank in the trunk. I believe it's 7 quarts. I myself am looking into adding a water/meth kit to the turbo I am getting, so just a thought. Good luck and please keep us up to date with your choice as I will be very interested in seeing your out come.

I have seen it done using the window washing fluid reservoir. It is stealthy...and when done right does not look to bad. 7 quarts in the trunk would be cool as well.
If I choose this set up I will try and get pics of the install/mod and dyno results.

No personal experience, but keep in mind that our cars were not designed to run on methanol. Alcohol can damage seals and o-rings, and possibly even the valves. Also keep in mind that the engine will run at a cooler temp with alcohol (don't know what), so you may have to restrict airflow or coolant flow to the radiator if the engine can't get up to a comfortable operating temperature.

As far as the engine running at a cooler temperature...I am not sure. The intake air is cooled way, way down. Same as if it was, say, in cooler weather or if you iced the intake down before running a 1/4 at the track. Instead of the intake air being like 190-200+ degrees (especially after traveling through a heat soaked blower and intercooler)...you can get the air down to like 105-115 degrees or cooler. You can use more air in this way..and ultimately
I am not intending on running the car on methanol...it runs on pump gas with a little "kick" when the water/methanol sprays, thats all. This is acheived by lowering the temps.

Aside from the cooling benefits, let’s also not forget the added octane the methanol adds to your fuel mixture. This in turn will allow you the benefit of more ignition timing....and as a result, increase power levels. :nice:

Also, not only is running it through the factory windshield washer tank “stealthy” but the low washer fluid tank sensor is a nice way to monitor your mixture, without having to continuously pop the hood to make sure you reservoir is full. So if you see “LOW WASHER FLUID” dummy light come on during a WOT run.....shut her down in a hurry. :D

While you are right about its drying effects its not near enough to worry about with just Meth/Alchy injection. Maybe if you were running E85 as fuel or something, but not just injecting it. Its definetly not as bad as spraying nitrous when it comes to beating things up.

Check out coolingmist.com, great site and they answer many questions about using methanol, but a rule of thumb we use if its boosted weather a supercharger or turbo we love meth, lower IAT's, you can run more timing its like having race gas on demand( only under boost) love the stuff!
Methanol, dont boost with out it.:nice: