Solving the hood shake mystery??

I'm well aware that most cars built before Jan. 5th '05 have severe hood shake around 80mph...mine included. Some kid backed into my car recently and I opted to put on the Saleen vented hood instead of the stock in hopes of getting rid of the shaking....

I got my car back yesterday from the shop, I get on the freeway and it starts shaking at 70mph...violently. So those of you hoping another hood would help (or at least the saleen) It doesn't. :nonono: :shrug:

I'm taking it back on monday to see if the shop can tweak it and play with it a little to tighten some hinges or something of the sort....

Very depressing, just thought you guys might wanna know if its just the stock hood. I'll post pics and more info on monday or tues after they mess with it a bit...

• Sponsors (?)

CaptainSaveAHoe said:
I'm well aware that most cars built before Jan. 5th '05 have severe hood shake around 80mph...mine included. Some kid backed into my car recently and I opted to put on the Saleen vented hood instead of the stock in hopes of getting rid of the shaking....

I got my car back yesterday from the shop, I get on the freeway and it starts shaking at 70mph...violently. So those of you hoping another hood would help (or at least the saleen) It doesn't. :nonono: :shrug:

I'm taking it back on monday to see if the shop can tweak it and play with it a little to tighten some hinges or something of the sort....

Very depressing, just thought you guys might wanna know if its just the stock hood. I'll post pics and more info on monday or tues after they mess with it a bit...
Guess there was no TSB, or you would have had it fixed. If cars built after 01/05/05 don't have the problem, it might be worth your trouble to see what Ford did. My guess is the problem is caused by air getting trapped in the engine compartment and nowhere to go. Is it possible Ford installed an air deflector under the engine compartment to deflect air away from the engine compartment, giving the air coming through the grill and lower fascia a place to exhaust?

My hood has had no hood shaking problems, several 105 MPH bursts, and was built in October.

I recently installed hood pins "just in case", because I'm taking it to Portland Int'l Raceway on the road course in 3 weeks and will be way above 105.

Try adjusting the bump stops up a bit. Did you reuse the rubber strip on the back of the hood (cowl).

CaptainSaveAHoe said:

are all mustangs built in the same plant? maybe it is one plant that has the shake. mine was built in 10/04 at flat rock, michigan......no shake, been to 135ish

i was looking under the hood today, and noticed that i am missing one of the rubber bumper guards on the inside of the fender. it goes where the fender bolts go, and keeps the hood stable at that point. maybe some of you are missing them....i also pulled up on the corners of my hood and less than 1/8" of play....i dont have the hood shake and built 10/04, but just a thought for those of you that do....