Some honest opinoins please LS1 or S197

2MFF-Z28 said:
The new mustang is very roomy inside compared to the F-body. If that matters.
When I ride in my buddies 05 I think, " damn this thing is comfy" and I'm 6'1 260, and he's bigger boned :D than me and he is very comfy.

Both are very nice cars. Tough choice in my book.

I got a bone for you GM boy

• Sponsors (?)

As far as workmanship goes, you said you've had some T/A's....then you should know about the horrid interior. My wife's focus has better interior materials. I'd go Mustang. Not for pure speed but for quality. (at least over the T/A)

If you're worried about "better" plastics in your toy car....maybe an m3 is the best choice :) I consider the interior to be very functional--everything is at arms reach and the seating position is 'sporty'. At what point to just say...this interior is good enough?---I think my 5.0's interior is good enough.

mattkimsey said:
If you're worried about "better" plastics in your toy car....maybe an m3 is the best choice :) I consider the interior to be very functional--everything is at arms reach and the seating position is 'sporty'. At what point to just say...this interior is good enough?---I think my 5.0's interior is good enough.

I notice you didn't disagree with me over the quality of the interior though! :) An M3 would be nice, but I could own 2 S197's for that. :

05MGT said:
I notice you didn't disagree with me over the quality of the interior though! :) An M3 would be nice, but I could own 2 S197's for that. :
I guess it depends on how you judge quality....IMO the fbody interior is just as good because there is nothing wrong with it. You could also buy 2 used fbodies for the price of a GT:D

Ya!! Mustang interior is soooo superior.:rlaugh: Thats great.
Nothing wrong with either. My z28 has 125k on it and no probs with squeaks or rattles or anything........very tight.

fbody interior......junky hard plastic
Mustang interior.......FINE CORINTHIAN PLASTICS.............

Now as far as power window motors and door speakers go............junk. Every car has its problems.

won't be long before AM is rife with proven cam/head stuff for the S197. personally, i like the idea of building up an underdog to compete w/ LS1 f-bodies rather than driving just another f-body. I've got the funds now for a blower but find it hard to part w/ them. I'd really prefer to stay NA which means i'll have to wait for AM to catch up

OR!!! just get one of each :nice:

Well, if you don't need back seats, and you are a fan of the TA, why not consider a used vette?

They can be found with low miles under $20k, if you could afford a S197, you should be able to swing that.

If you are looking exclusively for a sports car, it is a good one.

As far as F-bodies, I have driven several, and have not been impressed. My biggest complaints were the 6 ft deep dashboard, and the crappy ride. But then again my favorite car ever was a 1979 Mustang.....

good luck with your decision!

mattkimsey said:

Yeah, I feel the interior is damn near perfect. The only thing is with M6s are when you put a pop in the center console, it makes it a pain to reach over and shift. Then you just put the pop over in the popout cupholder.

I LIKE the long ass hood and dash combo. Maybe I like it because when I was growing up my dad had a 68 427 Corvette and it had a long tall hood.. But whatever the reason, it's not hard to adjust to. When I first drove my WS6, I went from a 88 Stang with like a 1' dash, it was kinda scary to drive. But after 10 mins, I had no problem telling where the front it.
Interior room is great (6'1", 170lbs), but the passenger seems to be cramped if they are over 200lbs, plus the hump kinda sucks.

As for driveability, it's excellent. I have no rattles/squeeks in my car, it rides smooth, and everything works. Does not take much to move from a dead stop. I have the stock brakes on my car, and yes they are a little warped, but nothing serious.

They get pretty good gas millage. With a run at 145MPH, a 1/4 run, and 99% of the other driving at 75MPH, I got 24MPG one week. If I be easy on it for a tank, I get about 25-26MPG.

Plus, the looks I get in it are awesome, many people stop, turn around in cars, ect. to look at it. Mustangs, especially 94+ are EVERYWHERE around here. Back in the summer just going to work, I would probably see 10-15 SN95+ on the road, with MAYBE 1-2 F-bods, usually Camaros.

iowabowhunter said:
Hi guys,
I'm looking at buying a new toy. I can't decided between the new Mustang and a T/A. I used to be Ford loyal but I have owned a couple Firebirds in the past so this no longer holds true. I posted a thread similar to this one over on F-body.com but all I got was a bunch of bs and Ford bashing. I'm wanting to know how the cars compare in ride quality and workmanship and if you had to do it all over again what would yo do? I would like to know from some of you that have actuall owned an LS1 car and now own a Mustang or maybe own both.
Thanks
Bob
Well how much do you want to spend?

The Fbody LS1 is a great car, they handle good and ride well for a performance car, plus have 345bhp STOCK and are easily modified.

Also they are pretty cheap to buy know, but are still new enough and reliable enough to be used as a daily driver. The interior is perhaps a little bland, but it's well designed and screwed together.

Remember both Ford and GM are big multinational corporations, neither builds better car, there's just stupid biased fools out there that slag the other off.

The s197 is fantastic looking car, best looking car for the past 10 years IMO. The interior looks good too, esspically with IUP, although I will be honest the interior is far more plasticky in the Mustang once up close. The seats also don't support brilliantly for spritied driving, where as the seats in my Z28 are superb, they even have adjustable side bolsters.

When I drove a s197 I found the low speed ride quality to be quite poor, one you speed up it tends to settle itself out, IMO the Fbody has a better low speed ride quality. This is probably due to the lower profile tyres fitted to the Mustang, as the suspensions systems are very similar in concept.

In performance terms the Mustang is good, and with a fairly good aftermarket too, but in STOCK trim an LS1 is faster (more power and less weight). Also will you want to mod a new car and void the warranty?

If I had the money I would have probably gone for the Mustang (for the looks alone). As it was the Z28 cost me about a 1/4 of the price of a Mustang GT and I'm very pleased with it.

In every area the Fbody will match or exceed the Mustang, except for looks (arguably). And of course age. But it will do it all for far less money

N.B. If anyone thinks sitting in an Fbody is low down and sitting on the floor, then they need to go and sit in a proper low down sports car. The Fbody is not low down at all.

_jb_ said:
I have the stock brakes on my car, and yes they are a little warped, but nothing serious.
Are you sure? Any form of brake judder is bad, although it probably isn't a warped disc. Warped discs do not exist for the most part, it is far more likely to be an uneven carbon build up on the surface of the disc.

But I guess what you are feeling is the ABS kicking in, this is my only gripe with my Z28 is that the ABS kicks in far too early (makes the brake pedal pulse, and reduces braking ability). If you push the brake pedal a little harder it will allow you to brake harder, but the ABS will still be active (takes a little getting use too).

_jb_ said:
They get pretty good gas millage. With a run at 145MPH, a 1/4 run, and 99% of the other driving at 75MPH, I got 24MPG one week. If I be easy on it for a tank, I get about 25-26MPG.
I'll second that, my car only usually does shrt journeys and often at WOT, yet it averages well over 20mpg and it's an auto.

300bhp/ton said:
Are you sure? Any form of brake judder is bad, although it probably isn't a warped disc. Warped discs do not exist for the most part, it is far more likely to be an uneven carbon build up on the surface of the disc.

But I guess what you are feeling is the ABS kicking in, this is my only gripe with my Z28 is that the ABS kicks in far too early (makes the brake pedal pulse, and reduces braking ability). If you push the brake pedal a little harder it will allow you to brake harder, but the ABS will still be active (takes a little getting use too).

I always assumed it was just warped. The car doesn't shake when I brake, but I feel it in the pedal. The car still brakes good.

blackened said:
won't be long before AM is rife with proven cam/head stuff for the S197. personally, i like the idea of building up an underdog to compete w/ LS1 f-bodies rather than driving just another f-body. I've got the funds now for a blower but find it hard to part w/ them. I'd really prefer to stay NA which means i'll have to wait for AM to catch up

OR!!! just get one of each :nice:

I'm still waiting for the aftermarket to catch up with the 2v. They aren't going to now and they may never for the 3v. This is as far as staying NA is concerned. I am not dogging the 05+ as they are overall much better cars than my 01.

If the guy who asked the original question is looking to build an all out beast it should not even be a question - LS1 or 03-04 cobra. Both can be had cheaper than a new 05/06. The LS1 being way cheaper.