Something kicks in when warmed up

Lilblkshp

Nov 8, 2018
Atlanta
Hello I have a kind of weird problem here. The car will start fine and idle fine when cold but once warmed up if I turn it off it will restart but will not hold the idle unless I hold the pedal down for a few minutes until something kicks in and then the RPMs raise up nice and smoothly, I let my foot off the pedal and it will hold the idle and drive fine. I have installed new distributor coil wires plugs Etc TPS adjusted properly timing has been verified compression checked put the smoke machine on it no leaks new map sensor, vacuum steady at 18. when warm it will not start and hold an idle unless I hold the pedal down and something kicks in then it Smooths out idles fine let my foot off the pedal it would drive fine hold idle at stop lights and everything, slight hiccup here and there but never close to cutting off until I turn it off and then it starts all over again. struggling to try and figure out what that is that's kicking in and making it smooth out

• Sponsors (?)

Hello I have a kind of weird problem here. The car will start fine and idle fine when cold but once warmed up if I turn it off it will restart but will not hold the idle unless I hold the pedal down for a few minutes until something kicks in and then the RPMs raise up nice and smoothly, I let my foot off the pedal and it will hold the idle and drive fine. I have installed new distributor coil wires plugs Etc TPS adjusted properly timing has been verified compression checked put the smoke machine on it no leaks new map sensor, vacuum steady at 18. when warm it will not start and hold an idle unless I hold the pedal down and something kicks in then it Smooths out idles fine let my foot off the pedal it would drive fine hold idle at stop lights and everything, slight hiccup here and there but never close to cutting off until I turn it off and then it starts all over again. struggling to try and figure out what that is that's kicking in and making it smooth out
Mine did this and was finally fixed after i put a motorcraft IAC on it. This may or may not fix your problem. You should read through the surging idle checklist on this forum.

Reactions: 1 users
What's "kicking in" is most likely the ECU going into a different mode. I'm not one of the experts on here, so I don't know the technical terms. I'm sure someone will chime in.

I unplugged thermactor and whatever else that is down there in the passenger corner and it is restarting and idling on it's own. Now though it's going up and down slowly if iac is plugged in. I'll go back over surging checklist again. Can I just delete them solenoids?

I unplugged thermactor and whatever else that is down there in the passenger corner and it is restarting and idling on it's own. Now though it's going up and down slowly if iac is plugged in. I'll go back over surging checklist again. Can I just delete them solenoids?
You'll be going backwards, plug all that stuff back in and do the computer reset, let us know what you find for codes then we can go from there.

You'll be going backwards, plug all that stuff back in and do the computer reset, let us know what you find for codes then we can go from there.
Did that, while I was hooking everything back up I pulled up vacuum diagram and sorted out all the messed up lines. No codes only 11, it starts and holds idle now. Gonna readjust tps and timing cause there's still a skip just off of idle. What's best timing and idle for these with no mods. I'm a Chevy guy just helping a friend out at my shop. Thanks a million man

Reactions: 1 user
12-13* with spout removed, about 750 idle. If you go to the surging idle checklist in the technical/how to thread it shows you the proper way to set timing and idle.
everything is good with the idle now thanks a lot but do you think you can give me some tips and pointers. I got a low speed Skip that seems like a ignition miss and it does it every now and then when you're stopped in gear and very rarely it will cut off. Starts right back up and Acceleration is skip free. I've seen a lot of different suggestions on what the tps should be set at, what do you say?