spark plugs 03 gt

19Stangnotch87

Oct 12, 2005
idaho
i got my car with 53k and now has 67k and i dont think the previous owner changed the spark plugs. i think it might be time for some new ones how do i check the spark plugs? do i have to remove the fuel rails or what if someone could help me out i would appreciate it thanx again....also some part#s or any thing would help too

• Sponsors (?)

Your better off leaving them alone if your car runs fine. Too many people ruin their cars when trying to replace the spark plugs. The heads can be easily stripped and most people won't torque them right. Then they wonder why they get a blown spark plug :notnice: . If it runs fine, leave them alone.

At 67K miles, i think i would change the plugs.

I have 60K on my GT and just now starting to notice a small split second miss when i go WOT.

Stock plugs are Motorcraft SP-493's gapped at 0.054"

It's certainly no problem to change the plugs. Just don't be a dumb-ass and overtorque your plugs. Check the spec and try to follow it. Also, don't try to remove the plugs on a hot engine because that can damage the threads too.

You should only have to remove the air intake tube (from the air box to the throttle body). Then, you can access all the plugs with various extensions.

Personally, I just use motorcraft plugs from the Ford dealer. You know the car will like them and they will last a long time. I last changed the plugs at 80k miles and have 155k now. Thats 75k miles and I haven't noticed any misses yet. :D I can still get 26 mpg on the highway too.

Your better off leaving them alone if your car runs fine. Too many people ruin their cars when trying to replace the spark plugs. The heads can be easily stripped and most people won't torque them right. Then they wonder why they get a blown spark plug :notnice: . If it runs fine, leave them alone.

+1

The factory plugs are rated for 100k. I replaced mine at 90k; the stock ones were perfectly fine and it made no difference.

+1.

no need if the car is running fine. If you don't know how to remove the spark plugs, ask a friend to do it and watch them.

i had a miss fire in one of my cylinders, my car had over 71000 so i just decided to change them all. I never saw anyone else do it, just used how to's from different forums. Its nice to have some different sized extensions, at least a 9". just follow the directions and dont over torque them. Ive put probably 100-200 miles since i did mine. after i did it the check engine light went away and havent had a problem. You could go to autozone or where ever and they should be able to tell you the exact spark plug that came stock, i would just use the same. its what i did. i believe they are motorcraft platinum. You will hear a lot of people say to go with copper, i just decided to go with stock platinum because they should last longer than the copper ones.

Swapped out 4 (driver side first) before it got dark. A screw, very small from the bottom of a nitrous solenoid, was hiding behind a COP and fell into the spark plug socket. Thankfully, Autozone had a telescoping magnetic pin(reaches goes from size of pin to about 2 feet long) and it pulled the screw out no prob. Other than that, it was uneventful. Motorcraft OEM plugs (but not the short threads, techs at dealer said they use them), anti seized and dielectric grease on the connection stud. Torqued to 13/14 ft, lbs. Let car run for a bit to make sure no issues. 4 more in the morning.

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but how do you know when your spark plug is misfiring?

Find a hill and drive up it in a higher gear than you should be. The car will feel like it's sputtering or missing.

It could be other things...but that's usually sign it's time to check and change the plugs