Spindle change between 1966 and 1970 Mustang

WadeMcBeth

5 Year Member
Aug 29, 2018
Georgia
I recently purchased a 1966 Mustang. I had to rebuild the front end, ball joints were shot. Someone though had replaced the spindles with 1970-73 Mustang spindles with disk brakes. It has the disc brakes with brake booster. Besides a larger outer tie rod for the spindles is this going to present any problems for alignment?

• Sponsors (?)

My front end does have all 1966 parts, upper and lower control arms. Again except for the outer tie rod which is larger. It is a 1970 outer tie rod. I did take it in for alignment and they cannot get the proper toe in without going 1.5 to 2 degrees negative castor. Which I know is not good. Looking for 0 degree camber +2-3 degrees castor and 1/16-1/8 inch toe in. Even that it is still to much toe in by 4/16 inches.

It might be a granada disc brake swap, search mustang steve and theres his page w alignment specs. Just had mine realigned last week and it needed a lotta shims on the ps side. They recommended a strut tower brace to keep the shock towers from folding inwards

shem

It might be a granada disc brake swap, search mustang steve and theres his page w alignment specs. Just had mine realigned last week and it needed a lotta shims on the ps side. They recommended a strut tower brace to keep the shock towers from folding inwards

shem

Not sure about the Grenada swap. I will check that out. I did purchase 2 1970 mustang spindles that accept disc brakes. They are the same as the ones I replaced. Thank you for the reply.

Never heard of that company. Some folks make brackets to bolt a caliper on the front, some on ebay. Heres mustang steves site for sure good stuff
https://www.mustangsteve.com/
In my opinion the granada swap sucks. Yeah I have power disc brakes that work awesome but the steering is funny, anything more than 30 degrees either direction the car just cuts sharply to that side. I shoulda just got a loaded k-member, and want one. But I barely drive the stang and have a new project
shem