• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Squeeking when I turn the steering...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dog bite
  • Start date Start date Jun 21, 2005
D

Dog bite

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
138
0
0
Montreal
Jun 21, 2005
#1
  • Jun 21, 2005
  • #1
or when I hit a bump.

Is it suspension or steering column?

Any input appreciated. It squeeks more so around center then the squeeking goes away if I turn the steering more. It also squeeks when I go over speed bumps for example.

Thanks
 
T

Torinalth

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
952
0
16
Clayton NC
Jun 21, 2005
#2
  • Jun 21, 2005
  • #2
it it sqeaks over speed bumps when strait then it would more then likely be dampers or possibly bushings. i have two squeaks, dampers and brakes are off a bit so at 11* left rotation of the wheel i get brake squeaks.... always something.

Torinalth
 

RandyStinchcomb

New Member
May 25, 2005
1,159
3
0
Randallstown, Md
Jun 21, 2005
#3
  • Jun 21, 2005
  • #3
Dog bite said:
or when I hit a bump.

Is it suspension or steering column?

Any input appreciated. It squeeks more so around center then the squeeking goes away if I turn the steering more. It also squeeks when I go over speed bumps for example.

Thanks
Click to expand...


how many miles on the car? Id say outer tie rods are going south.
 

Newbie143

New Member
May 22, 2005
226
0
0
Jun 21, 2005
#4
  • Jun 21, 2005
  • #4
I've seen an exact thread like THIS one 3 times already.
Dog Bite , almost all of us have this same problem..My 04 GT does the exact same thing. 3 Trips so far to FORD didnt even fix it yet
check your suspension and bushings , its not coming from steering problems trust me on this one
 
D

Dog bite

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
138
0
0
Montreal
Jun 23, 2005
#5
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #5
Thanks

I think it might be tie rods...

I now remember the mechanic saying something about that about 6 months ago. Have approx 130k miles on it. I had the power steering fluid flushed out and all and nothing came up from that so I was guessing it wasn't that.

I think tie rods might be the culprits.
Thanks!

What an anoying sound though...
 

Evenflow

yellow snow cone lover
Nov 4, 2004
116
0
16
Mass
Jun 23, 2005
#6
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #6
My 04 GT squeeks HORRIBLY.
 
K

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
4,749
95
134
Jun 23, 2005
#7
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #7
I read a post a guy made where he said that he bored a tiny hole in the rubber that covers the tie rod ends, injected lithium grease, sealed the hole, and has not had a squeak since. Can anyone confirm that this would work?
 

timeless2

Vi Veri Veni Versum Vicus Vici
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
1,366
202
154
the Shadow Gallery
Jun 23, 2005
#8
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #8
Dog bite said:
I think it might be tie rods...

I now remember the mechanic saying something about that about 6 months ago. Have approx 130k miles on it. I had the power steering fluid flushed out and all and nothing came up from that so I was guessing it wasn't that.

I think tie rods might be the culprits.
Thanks!

What an anoying sound though...
Click to expand...

Any vehicle with that kind of mileage, especially ones with some weight in front, is going to need some help in steering joints and rods. Even sooner, depending on how curvy/swervy you drive....
 
0

03silverstang

New Member
Jun 2, 2004
123
0
0
Jun 23, 2005
#9
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #9
My 04 GT had a similar squeak. Every time I turned to the right there was a squeak but nothing when I turned to the left. Took it in to Ford the mech said it was the power stearing rack so he put some grease on the fitting and re-tourqued the bolt. It's been fine since.
 
M

Mustangl3

New Member
Dec 3, 2003
242
0
0
willow grove, pa
Jun 23, 2005
#10
  • Jun 23, 2005
  • #10
its probably the ball joint on the tie rod end. Mine does the same thing but has gone away for now but im almost positive thats what it is. I spayed some pb blaster on it like 3 weeks ago but it didnt help. Maybe it just recently seeped through the rubber boot.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
231
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
140
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
80
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
K
Electrical 2000 GT Intermittent Engine Shutdown In Motion - DTC U1262
  • kenster1092
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
274
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 24, 2026
squeak93
S
Differential noise over bumps
  • sharkrat
  • Apr 10, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
239
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
TPony
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?