stang wont start

chaos254

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
NJ
Im currently fixing the struts/springs(both are broke, got to love fords lol) and rear brakes on my taurus so I figured I would just drive the stang to work. Well I should have known better, I had no issues all week but this morning it would not start at all. Turned the key and all the accessories would come on but it would not turn over, No clicking or anything. I played with the connections at the battery and they were a little loose. I tried jumping it with my fiances truck but it still would not turn over. Im at work right now so I really didnt get a chance to diagnose it. Just want to see if you guys can give me some ideas on what to check when I get home? Im thinking it could be the battery cables or the starter(original was replaced in 2003).

Got to love when both of your cars break at the same time. I got the taurus so I wouldn't have to worry about crap with the stang. :rolleyes: Plus you gotta love how it all happens when your low on cash.

Im getting close to driving it off a cliff... :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Did the system dim when you tried to crank it (i.e. did the interior light go off, radio turn off, etc)?

It can be a battery terminal or cable issue (namely the ground) but if it is, stuff should dim, radio loses presets, etc.

If you turn the headlights on, do they stay bright for more than 30 seconds? Does anything inside the car dim when you try to crank it with the lights on? If not, the starter interlock circuit is a place to look. There is the crank position in the ignition switch, clutch safety switch, a starter solenoid in the underhood fusebox and the piggyback solenoid on the starter which can all be an impediment to the crank signal reaching the starter.

Thanks for replying hissin..

The system does not dim at all when I try to start it. I kept the lights on as well and they didn't dim either. The radio also did not lose any of its presets.

Is there an easy way to check the things you listed? I'm not to familiar with the electrical system so any info or suggestions would be great. Thanks again.

Thanks for replying hissin..

The system does not dim at all when I try to start it. I kept the lights on as well and they didn't dim either. The radio also did not lose any of its presets.

Is there an easy way to check the things you listed? I'm not to familiar with the electrical system so any info or suggestions would be great. Thanks again.

The crank wire at the ignition switch is white/pink. Now I think it's the same color at the clutch safety switch (CSS). Check for 12 volts going into the clutch safety switch while the key is turned to crank. If you have that, check for 12 volts leaving the switch. It's quite possible your switch is not functioning properly. This will make it act like you never even turned the key to crank.

If you have voltage in and out of the CSS, go to the starter relay (see this diagram of the underhood fusebox). See if you hear or feel this relay click while someone tries to start the car. If not, then I'll have to look up schematic and check for what values you should have at each prong (terminal 85 on the relay will show ground and three terminals will show 12 volts while cranking).

You should find your issue at the CSS or this relay. If not, then we'll move on downstream.

Good luck.