Starter issues

Rjovi

May 4, 2005
Co
My starter did the usual click sound when you turn the key. Easy enough to pull so when i got it out I jumped across the bolts to see if it would kick, it kicked just fine. So i got in the car to see if the key would kick it...it kicked just fine. :bang:

So what now? Put it back in and wait for it to leave my stranded?

In case I wasn't clear, it would just click when you turned the key, and now that it's out it seems to work fine, with the key.

Any help....please

• Sponsors (?)

Think one of my buddies just answered my question. He says that he has had starters that turn just fine when out cause they have no load on them, but once in the car they don't have what it takes to turn the motor. Sounds good to me, I guess I'll just throw in this expensive Ford starter and hope that's it.

Stuff like that can be counterintuitive - but it is so easy to test the cables first, it was wise of you to do it all (ask Cman).

For future reference, a spare jumper cable can be used in parallel with existing cables for diagnostics. When you parallel a given cable and now the car starts wtih the key, you likely found a bad cable.

Glad to hear you got it.

HISSIN50 said:
Stuff like that can be counterintuitive - but it is so easy to test the cables first, it was wise of you to do it all (ask Cman).

For future reference, a spare jumper cable can be used in parallel with existing cables for diagnostics. When you parallel a given cable and now the car starts wtih the key, you likely found a bad cable.

Glad to hear you got it.

Yeah, thats how I found the problem after I changed the starter. The ground cable is perfect on both ends though, must be screwed somewhere in the middle.