• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Starting question (simple)

  • Thread starter Thread starter seraphim
  • Start date Start date Mar 20, 2010
S

seraphim

New Member
Jun 7, 2005
4
0
0
Mar 20, 2010
#1
  • Mar 20, 2010
  • #1
Can you start a 5.0 manual transmission car without pressing in the clutch?

I am modifying a 1991 wiring harness to fit in my 65 mustang and I can not figure this out. I have been looking at wiring diagrams and forums all day and the neutral drive safety switch still has me confused.


Thanks for you help.
 
3

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
481
2
18
Largo, FL
Mar 20, 2010
#2
  • Mar 20, 2010
  • #2
I disabled the clutch safety switch in my manual 95 GTS. If you shoot Chythar a message, he'll send you some great pictures of the harness that needs to be jumped. I picked up these awesome little jumper terminals from CarQuest. If need be, I can get you a part number I'm sure. I popped one of those in there about 2 months ago, and it's worked flawlessly.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Mar 20, 2010
#3
  • Mar 20, 2010
  • #3
On a fox, you can use a blade-type fuse to jump the switch.
 
S

seraphim

New Member
Jun 7, 2005
4
0
0
Mar 20, 2010
#4
  • Mar 20, 2010
  • #4
I am building my harness pretty much from scratch. So I can modify it how ever I want...

I really just need to know how it was originally implemented from the factory.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Mar 20, 2010
#5
  • Mar 20, 2010
  • #5
I'm not sure I follow the confusion. In the starter interlock circuit, you probably have a white/pink cranking wire egressing the ignition switch. It goes to the clutch switch, where it changes to red/lt grn. When the switch is open, the interlock circuit is dead. When you depress the clutch pedal, the switch closes the circuit so the car will start. Note: your wiring colors might vary from those I posted.

If you find the connector, you can remove the switch and put a fuse (or jumper connector from an AOD car) across the connector.

If you have a particular wiring diagram you're referencing and are not sure about something, maybe you can post the diagram.

Good luck.
 
S

seraphim

New Member
Jun 7, 2005
4
0
0
Mar 21, 2010
#6
  • Mar 21, 2010
  • #6
In the stock configuration can you start a manual 5.0 with the transmission in neutral and without pressing in the clutch?

Or do you always have to press in the clutch for the starter motor to engage?

I am just trying to make sure I conceptually understand how the system should work. Then I can make sure the wire harness is setup that way.

The main question I am trying to answer is whether the starter circuit uses just the clutch safety switch or if it uses the neutral gear switch (NGS) as well. I know the computer uses the NGS to determine idle conditions. I can't figure out how the circuit would function to use the NGS for the computer and for the starting system. I believe the computer uses 5V (pin30) to sense the NGS switch and the starting circuit is using 12V. I have been told that if you allow the 12V of the starting system to connect with the return pin46 of the computer (the 5V system) it burn the trace in circuit board.

Any help is appreciated......thanks!

FYI.....I don't have access to a 89-93 mustang 5.0.......I just have the wire harness that I am using in a different car.
 
S

seraphim

New Member
Jun 7, 2005
4
0
0
Mar 21, 2010
#7
  • Mar 21, 2010
  • #7
I think I finally found the answer to my question:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/702249-t5-sensor.html

This diagram shows that the starter circuit only uses the clutch sensing switch in a manual trans setup.

Now everything makes more sense.
 

tmoss

Gettin Wired
Founding Member
Jun 28, 2001
7,153
32
128
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 21, 2010
#8
  • Mar 21, 2010
  • #8
yes, the clutch switch must be depressed. The neutral switch is used for reading codes.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
307
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
Electrical problem plug in the drivers kick panel
  • Mindseye007
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
166
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 16, 2026
Mindseye007
A
1987 5.0 speed density Foxbody crank no start
  • Alan2204
  • May 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
449
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 30, 2026
Mcmahst
T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
153
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
Electrical 91 hatch wiring help needed
  • FastDriver
  • Apr 7, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
222
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 8, 2026
FastDriver
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?