Steering Questions... Car Steers Until The Engine Is Running???

shonoff

Dec 16, 2004
Ohio
Hey all, gotta a question and hoping someone knows these steering systems better than I... Last labor day I wrecked my 99 gt into a parked car, with my pass side front wheel taking most of the impact... The visual damage, aside from cosmetic, was a broken outer tie rod, the toe on the right front was off by about 4 inches, and the lower steering shaft was twisted and snapped at the joint... I pulled the rack, looked it over, and it looked, and worked fine off the car, reinstalled it, replaced the broken parts, and set the toe. So when its all back together, the car steers great, and everything works perfect. Until I start the car. When the engines running, the steering is locked up, and won't budge at all. Engine off, it steers fine??? So I'm assuming the rack and pinion is prolly fubared but id like second opinions before I throw more money at this thing. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering when the system was bleed, did it seem like fluid was flowing? Did you check for any pinched/crimped lines? Even a tiny blockage in the PS can cause issues.

FWIIW, a re-man steering rack isn't all that $$. In fact, I have put an entire re-man rack on instead of replacing just the inner tie rod ends. Seem silly to spend $80 for just the parts when for $120 I could get the entire rack with new tie rods ends.

I did check the lines and know they are fine, and the fluid seemed to be flowing, and I was getting quite a bit of air bubbles, but I wasn't really able to bleed it a whole lot. In addition to the rack locking up, I have an intermittent fuel problem, and whether it starts and runs, and stays running, is a coin flip... After being wrecked, and then sitting for a year, this car has problems on top of problems!..... But that is a very good point on the remanufactered ones, and ill prolly go that route. Any recommendations on where to get them for 120?

Inflations terrible! Lol. But I did actually find a guy online that rebuilds them and sells them for 120 shipped, with a lifetime warranty, so I might try him... And thanks for the help.