Steering Rack Coupler Question

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
I changed the rack on my 79 last night, and forgot most of what apparently I did the last 5 times...

My power rack coupler is completely round, and was made to mate with a round rack stub shaft that has a master spline.

Both of my racks have input shafts that have a D shape, with a flat for alignment.

Somewhere, in boxes, I think I have rack couplers that match that.

Fortunately, the round rack coupler accepts racks with a flat.

Does any one know what years came with either or both styles of racks and couplers, and why, etc...?

• Sponsors (?)

They would have used the D shaped style for quicker installation. They would make sure the wheel was halfway straight, then make sure the wheels were halfway, and throw it together. With just splines you would have to get it really close before it would all line up. Splines are great, but can be a big PITA.

did you change from a power rack to a manual rack? i have questions about this too. i have an 84 4 cyl converted car with a power rack now, i picked up a used early fox bare manual rack...does everything swap over (ball joints/tierods/steering shaft)? you have any pics of the two? good luck with it.