• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Steering very loose..

  • Thread starter Thread starter impulse001
  • Start date Start date Oct 19, 2009
I

impulse001

New Member
Jan 16, 2008
84
0
0
New Jersey
Oct 19, 2009
#1
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #1
I was just wondering if there is a way to tighten out steering? Its very easy to turn the wheel, which I don't like so much.. On the highway, it feels like they wheel is just going to turn on its own, i'm not knocking on power steering.. I just dont want it to work so well, lol
 

5.0Droptop

...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??
Special Agent Mukity-Muck Whats in Charge Round Here
May 15, 2002
1,785
1,130
233
Indiana
Oct 19, 2009
#2
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #2
is the steering sloppy? or just to easy to turn?
 

Shaolin Crane

Banned
Oct 6, 2008
2,627
7
0
Kommiefornia
Oct 19, 2009
#3
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #3
impulse001 said:
I was just wondering if there is a way to tighten out steering? Its very easy to turn the wheel, which I don't like so much.. On the highway, it feels like they wheel is just going to turn on its own, i'm not knocking on power steering.. I just dont want it to work so well, lol
Click to expand...

uhm i dont get it, it works too well? you dont like how easy and responsive it is, well then unhook your PS hoses and that should yield what you want
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,325
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Oct 19, 2009
#4
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #4
Mine is the same. From a dead stop you can go lock to lock with your pinky very easily.

I hate it. I'll be installing an SN95 rack soon to fix that problem
 

5.0Droptop

...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??
Special Agent Mukity-Muck Whats in Charge Round Here
May 15, 2002
1,785
1,130
233
Indiana
Oct 19, 2009
#5
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #5
You could dump exactly 1.25 cups of fine play sand into the ps resovour. This is a known fix for fox power steering looseness.
 
I

impulse001

New Member
Jan 16, 2008
84
0
0
New Jersey
Oct 19, 2009
#6
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #6
5.0Droptop said:
You could dump exactly 1.25 cups of fine play sand into the ps resovour. This is a known fix for fox power steering looseness.
Click to expand...

Lol, thanks for the advice... I can always count on you!

Mustang5L5 said:
Mine is the same. From a dead stop you can go lock to lock with your pinky very easily.

I hate it. I'll be installing an SN95 rack soon to fix that problem
Click to expand...

At least someone knows what I mean! Maybe i'll try that solution as well, thanks..
 

5.0Droptop

...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??
Special Agent Mukity-Muck Whats in Charge Round Here
May 15, 2002
1,785
1,130
233
Indiana
Oct 19, 2009
#7
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #7
If you decide to port you heads let me know, I have a easy to follow instructions.
 

Shaolin Crane

Banned
Oct 6, 2008
2,627
7
0
Kommiefornia
Oct 19, 2009
#8
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #8
love how light the steering is, but i carve corners so it works for me
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,325
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Oct 19, 2009
#9
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #9
5.0Droptop said:
You could dump exactly 1.25 cups of fine play sand into the ps resovour. This is a known fix for fox power steering looseness.
Click to expand...



You serious?
 

5.0Droptop

...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??
Special Agent Mukity-Muck Whats in Charge Round Here
May 15, 2002
1,785
1,130
233
Indiana
Oct 19, 2009
#10
  • Oct 19, 2009
  • #10
Mustang5L5 said:
You serious?
Click to expand...

You should know better.
 

DARCA

New Member
Nov 19, 2008
61
0
0
Tacoma, WA
Oct 20, 2009
#11
  • Oct 20, 2009
  • #11
5.0Droptop said:
If you decide to port you heads let me know, I have a easy to follow instructions.
Click to expand...

5.0Droptop said:
You should know better.
Click to expand...

*Runs back outside to find "Power steering fluid bleeder"... aww Sh^T*
 

5.0Droptop

...all those nights we shared, and you're a dude??
Special Agent Mukity-Muck Whats in Charge Round Here
May 15, 2002
1,785
1,130
233
Indiana
Oct 20, 2009
#12
  • Oct 20, 2009
  • #12
Thats why you should go to teh tech section.
 

1987LXragtop

Member
Jan 26, 2008
837
3
18
Just outside Philly PA
Oct 21, 2009
#13
  • Oct 21, 2009
  • #13
yeah i kind of agree but I like the easy turning. My only issue is that I do have slop n the steering. Really noticed it today at 75 on the PA turnpike. Not good. on my fix it to-do list.
 

RydeOn

Licensed to Chill
Founding Member
Sep 26, 2000
6,273
1
77
orange county, CA
Oct 25, 2009
#14
  • Oct 25, 2009
  • #14
I just upgraded to 03 cobra steering. Cost alot though. Steering is so much nicer and the way it tracks on the highway is perfect!
 

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
1,409
69
79
Norman, Ok
Oct 25, 2009
#15
  • Oct 25, 2009
  • #15
mine's the same way. my buddy's coupe is nice and tight though. would a new rack not fix this?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
229
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
For Sale 2006 Mustang GT Steering Wheel with Cruise Controls
  • lenko
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • Other Classifieds
Replies
0
Views
97
Other Classifieds Sep 3, 2026
lenko
Sloppy steering wheel
  • cnorman31
  • Nov 1, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
363
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 2, 2025
Monkeybutt2000
M
G
79 steering rack problems
  • garyrc
  • Mar 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
168
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 8, 2026
AeroCoupe
F
89 GT smog delete belt?
  • fratzke
  • Feb 12, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
11
Views
584
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 25, 2026
fratzke
F
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?