Steering wheel shakes & shifter vibrates at 80+mph...

• Sponsors (?)

Agree with Daggar. Might also want to check the alignment. Sorry to change the subject, but Daggar, I noticed you're still running SD with all those mods. How's the car run? Have you reprogrammed the computer or anything? Just curious, because I'm runnin' an '86 too.

90mustangGT said:
Steering wheel vibration = front wheel(s) bent, tire out of round, flatspot in tire, or out of balance.
Shifter Vibration = Driveshaft out of balance, bad U joints.
If a wheel was bent wouldn't I feel it a lot sooner than 80mph?

There aren't any flat spots that I could find.

I guess I will go have the ****s balanced 1st & then I'll probably put an aluminum ds in & see what happens :shrug:

86StangLX said:
Agree with Daggar. Might also want to check the alignment. Sorry to change the subject, but Daggar, I noticed you're still running SD with all those mods. How's the car run? Have you reprogrammed the computer or anything? Just curious, because I'm runnin' an '86 too.

I had to have a chip burned when I installed the E cam (taught the computer how to deal with the new vac reading). It wasn't worth it, I should have just gone with a different cam but I didn't know any better and STILL don't know much about cams. At least now I'll know just to get with someone that does custom cams and get a good one ground. As for the KB... no computer mods or anything were required (so long as you've got a check valve to isolate boost pressure from the MAP sensor). It runs great. Eventually, I'm sure I'll have to swap to mass air but I figure that it can wait until my 331 is complete. You can do all kinds of great things with SD if you're patient enough to work out the issues. Swapping parts one at a time and adjusting as I went along I imagine, helped allot. New motor though... I think it's going to end up being more trouble than it's worth and I don't want to be limited on cam selection either.

Daggar said:
Swapping parts one at a time and adjusting as I went along I imagine, helped allot.
amazing how using this philosophy can save headaches, isnt it. :)

good luck with the new motor. :) gotta stay SD. :nice: (im kidding - if i got to the point of needing a chip, i would probably just convert to MAF).