Steering Wheel Swap: Is it difficult?

Maza4ever14

Apr 27, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Right now I'm debating on picking up a new steering wheel for my car. Currently, i have the regualr deluxe model steering wheel and I want to upgrade to the Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel from the Premium model. The price isnt too bad (about 175.00).

Is this an easy task? Will just disconnecting the battery keep me safe from getting a faceful of air bag? Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

you need to disconnect the battery and wait about ten minutes. the airbag system stores power, and waiting 10 minutes will allow that power to drain from the system.

i think i have a link to the steering wheel removal PDF.....let me look.

edit: yep, check your PM box for the links.

The battery does not need to be disconnected. I know Ford tells you to, but it's completely unnecessary. If you read the wiring diagram manual you will see that the airbag needs (+) and (-) voltage to pop and it can't get both until one of the switches out on the front of the car is closed from an accident. In addition to that, when you remove the airbag you first disconnect the wiring harness plug from the back which completely eliminates any possibility for it to pop.

When I swapped my steering wheel I asked Don Burton (7 second Don Burton) about it. He's a top Ford Tech here in Maryland and he says he never disconnects the battery working on customers cars. Just thought I'd throw that tidbit out there because I was a little leary about messing with an airbag.....never did before.

The battery does not need to be disconnected. I know Ford tells you to, but it's completely unnecessary. If you read the wiring diagram manual you will see that the airbag needs (+) and (-) voltage to pop and it can't get both until one of the switches out on the front of the car is closed from an accident. In addition to that, when you remove the airbag you first disconnect the wiring harness plug from the back which completely eliminates any possibility for it to pop.

When I swapped my steering wheel I asked Don Burton (7 second Don Burton) about it. He's a top Ford Tech here in Maryland and he says he never disconnects the battery working on customers cars. Just thought I'd throw that tidbit out there because I was a little leary about messing with an airbag.....never did before.

the choice is yours...better safe than sorry.