Still got the 429, what suspension should I go with?

tamadrummer88

Aug 19, 2005
Aloha State
I still got my 429, and I really want to put it in my 68, but what kind of suspension setup should I go with? I was looking at a MII setup, but now im open to all suggestions...Im rethinking my plans as to where I want to go with my 68 fastback. Any suggestions i am open to at the moment..help me decide where to go with my car!

John

• Sponsors (?)

Well, what are your plans for that car?

Is this a street cruiser? - Regular old OEM style suspension with a few upgrades like big sway bar, new springs, maybe roller perches, etc works just fine with that motor in that car.

Is this a quarter mile car? - Mii might not be the best choice for this.

Is this a road course car? - prob not.

Is this a parade car?

dodgestang said:
Well, what are your plans for that car?

Is this a street cruiser? - Regular old OEM style suspension with a few upgrades like big sway bar, new springs, maybe roller perches, etc works just fine with that motor in that car.

Is this a quarter mile car? - Mii might not be the best choice for this.

Is this a road course car? - prob not.

Is this a parade car?

answer these questions and we can give you a good recommendation.

rbohm said:
answer these questions and we can give you a good recommendation.

Sorry, guess I goofed.

The car is just going to be a street car, and I dont think it will see a drag strip until the ****ing hawaii govt. pulls thier heads out of thier ass and builds a new racing complex. I just want it to be a good road going car that can handle well on command. But it will mostly be a street car.

John

ok for a street car rebuild the stock front suspension, add some roller spring perches, use a 620lb spring on the front with a good shock, like the koni's, and a 1 1/8 front swaybar. at the rear use a good 5 leaf spring, and likely you will need a good set of traction bars as well, that 429 can make some serious power when bilt right, i like the traction masters then the cal tracs. dont forget the subframe connectors, you WILL need them to prevent twisting your chassis into a pretzel.

oh almost forgot, use a 3/4" rear swaybar as well. you should also box the front upper and lower control arms while you are there. opentracker has the boxing plates or templates you need.

Ok, I was looking at front lowering springs, and since I want to lower the car an inch front and back, because I have that 429, would I need the lowering spring? also, what should I do about the steering? My car does have power steering. Would this set up be good for handling? Just a thought, but if ford made the 428 CJ mustang, and its a big motor, and they knew the car wouldnt handle well, would they still have made that model with that motor?

John