stock crank on 351W??

• Sponsors (?)

86bluecobra said:
500 i believe. i have been told that the cast cranks should be able to take more power then the blocks. I haven't heard of any peeps killing cranks in 351w.

well its going to be built more for lower RPM street driving .....I have a cobra intake on my 93 5.0 so I got a lightning lower ....going to put eagle or probe rods in it with either speed pro or probe pistons .......with either X303 or trickflow stage 2 cam .....running ported Y303 GT40 heads .......and finally 30 lbs injectors ......

I have seen stock cranks spinning to 6800rpm with 150hp nitrous on them,oh yea!Cause we were runing that combo... ;)

I have head of some people turning the stocker to 8000rpm and it surving through a seasion.I dont know if I would have really trusted that,but its possable I know that.

I would say,its good to 500hp,and 6500rpm no problem.

600hp or over 7000rpm would probably be a when will it break kinda thing.

bluevenom867 said:
I have seen stock cranks spinning to 6800rpm with 150hp nitrous on them,oh yea!Cause we were runing that combo... ;)

I have head of some people turning the stocker to 8000rpm and it surving through a seasion.I dont know if I would have really trusted that,but its possable I know that.

I would say,its good to 500hp,and 6500rpm no problem.

600hp or over 7000rpm would probably be a when will it break kinda thing.

its going to have 100 shot on it ...I forgot to mention that .... going to try to get the compression to about 10 to 1

2002BLGT said:
its going to have 100 shot on it ...I forgot to mention that .... going to try to get the compression to about 10 to 1

Cool,you wont have a problem.

We were doing that with stock rods (with ARP bolts) and KB hyperutectic pitions also.

As long as its balanced and built right,it will stand up just fine (as long as its not terrably out of tune of course,detonation will kill any motor).

bluevenom867 said:
Cool,you wont have a problem.

We were doing that with stock rods (with ARP bolts) and KB hyperutectic pitions also.

As long as its balanced and built right,it will stand up just fine (as long as its not terrably out of tune of course,detonation will kill any motor).

I had thought about using stock rods ....but just dont wanna chance it .....

yikes venom stock rods? well i guess the fact that you had hyper pistons maybe thats why it all worked? correct me if i am wrong but hyper's are lighter then forged pistons. If people are going to use forged pistons then i was unger the impression it is a good idea to upgrade the rods due to the fact of the increased wieght of the slugs.

86bluecobra said:
yikes venom stock rods? well i guess the fact that you had hyper pistons maybe thats why it all worked? correct me if i am wrong but hyper's are lighter then forged pistons. If people are going to use forged pistons then i was unger the impression it is a good idea to upgrade the rods due to the fact of the increased wieght of the slugs.

I have also heard this ......so thats why I am going with forged pistons and rods .....

86bluecobra said:

Yea,they are lighter (and they expand less,whitch lets you run tighter clearances=more stable),but the stock rods are decent for an I beam rod.We got a good deal on the shortblock and thats the way it came,other wise,I probably would have used an aftermaket rod just because how cheap you can get them now,and forged pistons.

As for the pistons,I know everyone says hypers are for n/a or stock rebuilds,and I agree,but the truth is there actualy quite good.I know I called KB and one of their techs there said they had a customer runing like a 600hp shot of nitrous on their hypers.

Now,I wouldnt,but that pretty impressive,but that guys tune most be dead on.One screw up and boom.....