Stock II converter size?

James75

Jan 14, 2008
SD
Hello all, it's been a while, busy with classes. In May I'll be done and will be able to get back to restoring the old II. I was kindly donated this TCI flexpate for my new 5 liter:
TCI 529618 - TCI Flexplates - summitracing.com
It's a 157 tooth, 10.5 bolt circle and I'm looking for a torque converter and had this one in mind:
TCI 3600 anti balloon plate, 10 inch, 10.5 bolt circle
TCI 451503 - TCI Super StreetFighter Transmissions - summitracing.com
I'm wondering if anyone knows if it will fit in the stock II bell housing or will I have to change it? What is the diameter of a stock II converter?

I just want to know this before I get the flexplate balanced with the new bottom end parts I got or if I should stick with the stock flexplate.

James,

Unfortunately, your new 157 tooth flexplate will not fit in the smaller MII bellhousing. The stock flexplate is a smaller diameter 141 tooth size.

Likewise, the MII TC has a smaller diameter bolt pattern than usual also.

I do not recall the specs of the TC, but they are commmonly available from most TC manufacturers.

You said you had a new 5 liter which raises another question in my mind...is it 28 oz. balance like the pre-1981 engines, or 50 oz. like the later ones? The flexplate will need to match the balance of the engine, and is usually carried to the machine shop with the other reciprocating parts if an engne balance is going to be done.

The last I heard, Art Carr carried the MII flexplate in both balances.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just change the bell housing too.
Ya, it's a dss block and a new 28oz crank, damper and flex plate. I've got all the parts for the engine together, ready for balancing. Now I just hope there's not going to be a problem fitting a larger bell housing in

If you are building to race, you need to add a flexplate safety shield, bellhousing, or blanket. And since you are going to change the bellhousing anyway, you should take a look at these guys:
Quick Time Performance Products

Their "RM-6061 - 5.0/5.8 Ford Bellhousing/C4 Automatic" looks like what you need.

Here is the description:
Height = 5.836
Trans. Bore Ø = 6.132
Engine = Ford 289/302/351w/351c
Trans. = C4
Flexplate = 157 tooth
Weight = 17#
SFI certified @ 30.1
More bolt clearance than aluminum style housings
360° housing for maximum protection
Engine plate and grade 8 bolts included

Looking at the overall shape of this company's products, I'd bet that they provide more trans tunnel clearance in addition to the safety protection.

That extra clearance could be helpful for both engine placement and for header clearance when you place a larger-than-stock bellhousing in your MII trans tunnel.

Hey thanks for that great info, nice find
That does look like the exact thing I need. $416 is a little steep, but unfortunately that's the norm for HP equipment. Looks like I'll be dropping the parts off for balancing today, thanks again

Just opt for the smaller bell housing it's about $200, and ArtCarr does still carry the flexplates for about $130, however if your crank IS balanced for 28.5oz you can use the original flex plate. So you'll only be out $200 for the smaller bell housing.

I just did what you are doing, the larger bell housing and even the aod bellhousing create severe clearance issues in the tunnel.

After thinking about all the options, I guess the most logical way to go is with the 141 tooth and the smaller bell housing. Thanks for your input guys, it's been a great help in deciding the best option for me.

James-

Not sure what oil pan you're running, but in order to use the 141 Tooth bell and flexplate, you'll need that II-specific oil pan aswell. I assume you do have it.

Using the MII bell and flexplate will also help you out when (if ever) you decide to run headers. However, I've found Headmans to fit the larger 157-tooth bellhousing with a little massaging.

Mustang II-141 tooth

I'm new to this website,so bare with me.

A stock Mustang II/ V8 torque converter, Outside dia is 10 7/8"
Flexplate stud mounting dia is 9 3/8" I have sitting on my workbench.

For a stock Flexplate you can go to any tranny shop a order one.
For a SFI plate, the only one I could find was from Performance Automatic
301-963-8078.

For SFI bell, for the 141 tooth, NO LUCK.

\