Strange whirring sound

2013 Geee T

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Oak Park, CA
Ive been hearing this sound lately coming from my car when I drive it. Its not all the time but its been happening a lot more lately. Now that I finally found a good word to describe it I can post about it! Its a whirring sound that goes along with the RPMs of the engine as I drive.

I cant tell where its coming from. Its louder in first and then gets quieter for second and third. After that I don't think I hear it. I'm thinking transmission but don't know what it could be. I don't hear it when sitting still though so I don't think its engine related and it doesn't do it when I rev it at a stop.

• Sponsors (?)

This is gonna be difficult to convert to a word but does it sound like: WrreeeeEEE

lol. Thats the best I got ... if so, it could be your trans/low or nasty fluid ... Might be something with the driveshaft but I dunno what it would be ...

Another thing that probably sounds stupid but I've seen it happen to a few of my friends; Their cars started making a similar noise and it turned out to be feedback through their stereo. I know, I know .. just turn the radio off to make sure it aint that. :)

I thought about the radio thing but I know what that sound is and its not quite the same.

But WrreeeeEEE or whrrrrrrrrr is kind of what it sounds like. If it were the driveshaft I dont think it would match the engine RPMs but I suppose the trans would.

The AC is not on when it does it. Plus its not all the time. It seems to do it more when its been driven for awhile. I'm due to change the trans oil.

If it were a idler bearing would it do it all the time? And wouldn't do it just from revving the engine at a stop? Mine only makes the sound while in motion.

Maybe it could be air coming in somewhere .. like through a grommet or something?? That would make sense for why it does it while in motion ... it almost has to be that or something with the transmission. Well, I guess it could be tires but meh..:shrug:

Also, I just thought about it, check your differential fluid when you check the transmission fluid.

I have a similar problem with my car. But it's so slight, you have to purposely be as quiet as possible to hear it. I thought it was the clutch, but it doesn't get any louder but seems to go along with my RPM range. Anyways, I just attributed it to mechanical noise.

P.S. when I push the clutch in, it won't make the noise too.

Mine is quiet too. Its one of those sounds that only I would notice since I drive it all the time. I noticed yesterday that if I put more load on it without necessarily having the RPMs going up it gets louder. For example if I was bogging it by going too slow for 3rd gear and stepping on the gas more.

does it sound like wet rocks in a tumbler? my tranny does it as well, its a 3650 thing.

first things first, change your tranny oil. its easy. drain the old crap, refill with new stuff. you can do the easy way, use a tube and take out the shifter assembly and get at it from inside the cabin, run the tube down the side of the tranny to the fill plug and just relax while you fill up.