Stumble/miss At 3500+ Under Load

Chuckman

GTFO you fat, heavy bastard
15 Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
st. louis, mo
As the title says, im experiencing a pretty good stumble/miss around 3500 plus with more than half throttle, but only in 2nd/3rd/4th gears.This is after upgrading to a tfs stage 2 cam and rpm2 intake. When it happens, my stock tach will hesitate and then continue to climb until it hits the next bad spot, my autometer digital will drop down to 2600ish and then jump back up. Does it worse when up to temp than it does when cold.

thought it might have been a fuel thing cause my gauge is acting weird (bouncing) but swapped to a 255lph pump from a 190. Also confirmed that i get full pressure at wot with vacuum off and tried driving it around that way, no joy.

Also tried gapping plugs to .035, same symptoms. Checked for arcing out of the wires and didnt see anything. Using msd tfi coil, msd cap/rotor, taylor 8mm wires, autolite 3924 plugs.

Pulled codes and got 81,82, and either 83 and/or 84 koeo (going by memory) and got 91, 44, 33, and 1 koer (i think my scanner screwed up the last, never heard of a code 1, and this is one of those fancy scanners with an lcd screen so i didn't read ir wrong). I don't have any if the emissions or egr stuff in the car anymore, so that's those codes.

Kinda stumped on what this could be. Would a bad 02 sensor cause these symptoms? Spark issues? Only vacuum i have hooked up is booster, fpr, pcv, and charcoal canister, and it idles great with no surge, so i doubt vacuum leak. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

It is either the PIP sensor in the distributor or the TFI module. I would try the TFI module first. However, both are going to have about the same price if you do some careful shopping..

Sometime a code dump will pick up a PIP or TFI failure. In any case it is a good way to find problems, some of which may not be apparent.

If there is someplace that has a distributor tester, or ignition tester, you can heat the TFI with a hair dryer for several minutes while the tester is running.

Dump the codes: Codes may be present even if the Check Engine Light (CEL) isn't on.

Dumping the computer diagnostic codes on 86-95 Mustangs

Revised 26-July-2011. Added need to make sure the clutch is pressed when dumping codes.

Codes may be present even if the check engine light hasn’t come on, so be sure to check for them.

Here's the way to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

Post the codes you get and I will post 86-93 model 5.0 Mustang specific code definitions and fixes. I do not have a complete listing for 94-95 model 5.0 Mustangs at this time.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. On a manual transmission car, be sure to press the clutch to the floor.
Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Underhoodpictures007-01.jpg

Underhoodpictures010.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems. This is crucial: the same wire that provides the ground to dump the codes provides signal ground for the TPS, EGR, ACT and Map/Baro sensors. If it fails, you will have poor performance, economy and driveablity problems

Some codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off, and clutch (if present) is pressed to the floor, and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

Your 86-88 5.0 won't have a working Check Engine Light, so you'll need a test light.
See AutoZone Part Number: 25886 , $10

Alternate methods:
For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see Actron® for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see Equus Digital Ford Code Reader (3145) Equus - Digital Ford Code Reader (3145It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $22-$36.

Here's some help with diagnosing a PIP problem. The PIP may not always set a code, so it is a flip of the coin as to wither the PIP or TFI is at fault.

Code 14 - Ignition pickup (PIP) was erratic – the Hall Effect sensor in the distributor is failing. Bad sensor, bad wiring, dirty contacts. Factory tach will sometimes read erratically.

Revised 10-Dec-2012 to add PIP diagnostic testing & Wells info

The PIP is a Hall Effect magnetic sensor that triggers the TFI and injectors. There is a shutter wheel alternately covers and uncovers a fixed magnet as it rotates. The change in the magnetic field triggers the sensor. They are often heat sensitive, increasing the failure rate as the temperature increases.

PIP Sensor functionality, testing and replacement:
The PIP is a Hall Effect magnetic sensor that triggers the TFI and injectors. There is a shutter wheel alternately covers and uncovers a fixed magnet as it rotates. The change in the magnetic field triggers the sensor. A failing PIP sensor will often set code 14 in the computer. They are often heat sensitive, increasing the failure rate as the temperature increases.

Some simple checks to do before replacing the PIP sensor or distributor:
You will need a Multimeter or DVM with good batteries: test or replace them before you get started.. You may also need some extra 16-18 gauge wire to extend the length of the meter’s test leads.
Visual check first: look for chaffed or damaged wiring and loose connector pins in the TFI harness connector.
Check the IDM wiring – dark green/yellow wire from the TFI module to pin 4 on the computer. There is a 22K Ohm resistor in the wiring between the TFI and the computer. Use an ohmmeter to measure the wire resistance from the TFI to the computer. You should see 22,000 ohms +/- 10%.
Check the PIP wiring - dark blue from the TFI module to pin 56 on the computer. Use an ohmmeter to measure the wire resistance from the TFI to the computer. You should see 0.2-1.5 ohms.
Check the SPOUT wiring – yellow/lt green from the TFI module to pin 36 on the computer. Use an ohmmeter to measure the wire resistance from the TFI to the computer. You should see 0.2-1.5 ohms.
Check the black/orange wire from the TFI module to pin 16 on the computer. Use an ohmmeter to measure the wire resistance from the TFI to the computer. You should see 0.2-1.5 ohms.
Check the red/green wire; it should have a steady 12-13 volts with the ignition switch on and the engine not running.
Check the red/blue wire; it should have a steady 12-13 volts with the ignition switch in Start and the engine not running. Watch out for the fan blades when you do this test, since the engine will be cranking.
If you do not find any chaffed or broken wires, high resistance connections or loose pins in the wiring harness, replace the PIP sensor or the distributor.

The PIP sensor is mounted in the bottom of the distributor under the shutter wheel. In stock Ford distributors, you have to press the gear off the distributor shaft to get access to it to replace it. Most guys just end up replacing the distributor with a reman unit for about $75 exchange

PIP problems & diagnostic info
Spark with the SPOUT out, but not with the SPOUT in suggests a PIP problem. The PIP signal level needs to be above 6.5 volts to trigger the computer, but only needs to be 5.75 volts to trigger the TFI module. Hence with a weak PIP signal, you could get spark but no injector pulse. You will need an oscilloscope or graphing DVM to measure the output voltage since it is not a straight DC voltage.

See http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/pdf/counterp_v8_i2_2004.pdf and http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/pdf/counterp_v8_i3_2004.pdf for verification of this little detail from Wells, a manufacturer of TFI modules and ignition system products.

Are the motorcraft tfi's any good these days? I know the parts-store branded ones are usually no bueno, but don't know if the "oe" ones went through the same cost cutting that all the other motorcraft and frpp stuff gone through in recent years.

Napa carries refurbished Motorcraft dizzies, they have the higher line Echilin TFI modules too, I have both on mine right now and a spare stock dizzy with factory Motorcraft TFI in the trunk, ..but the rep for the TFI's getting hot causing a no start problem until it cooled, came from the factory Motorcraft TFI's, ....maybe better manufacturing these days who knows, but a key element that some forget is being liberal with the heat sink gooo that goes in between the TFI and the Dizzy, supposed to disperse heat more effectively etc.

**Holy F@$& the repeating pop up adds are ridiculous, just gotta' keep hitting the box X on the same ones over and over WTF cannot they be put to the side of the page or understand that i just boxed the x on another thread for the same product??!!! ....Irritating to the 10th power!!!

Last edited:
Threw a new tfi in, and backed the timing down from 16 initial to 14, seems to have fixed it. Also advances more than 2 degrees at idle now like it should.

Reactions: 1 users