• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Stumbling

  • Thread starter Thread starter 5.0W/5.0
  • Start date Start date Mar 30, 2010
5

5.0W/5.0

Member
Feb 12, 2010
129
0
16
Carson Valley, NV
Mar 30, 2010
#1
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #1
So I was driving home in the rain for the 1st time since I bought my 88gt. It began to stumble intermitently. I do not have fender liners and I also have a bbk cold air kit, thats was a bit wet when I got home. I also noticed the voltage gauge would drop to about 8, until it reved over 1700rpm, then shot up to normal. Car would seem to run fine then stumble, then run fine.

This is the 1st problem I have had with it.
 

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
856
7
38
Lehigh Acres Fla.
Mar 30, 2010
#2
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #2
The possibilities, could have sucked up a little water in the intake, the alternator got wet causing it to slip internally (hence the voltage drop , i'll bet it squealed just as the voltage picked back up) , the distributor got wet. If the dist has a tiny crack in it or it isn't sealed well, the problems you mentioned may occur. This can also be the case if the distributor cap clamps are too loose. you must have went through some big water puddles.

GET yourself some fenderwell splash shields from the junk yard. Otherwise you will suck up water from the slightest puddle. It'll just shoot it right in.
 
5

5.0W/5.0

Member
Feb 12, 2010
129
0
16
Carson Valley, NV
Mar 30, 2010
#3
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #3
Ya, a guy I know just gave me some LX tail lights, and he said I could have the liners off of his donor car.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Mar 30, 2010
#4
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #4
If you haven't, pull codes.
 
E

ebk06

Member
Feb 23, 2007
113
12
18
Mar 30, 2010
#5
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #5
This is why I dont drive my fox in the rain. It probably the worst car Ive ever driven on a wet road. lol
 

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
725
83
59
Mar 30, 2010
#6
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #6
can't your engine hydrolock from sucking up water in the intake?
 
5

5.0W/5.0

Member
Feb 12, 2010
129
0
16
Carson Valley, NV
Mar 31, 2010
#7
  • Mar 31, 2010
  • #7
I will pull codes on my day off. Gonna drive my other car till then. I don't think the small amount of water that would get into the intake would create hydro lock.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
629
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
522
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
237
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Saturday at 5:19 PM
manicmechanic007
Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
882
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
361
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?