Surging idle!

tamadrummer88

Aug 19, 2005
Aloha State
Ok, so when im at a stoplight, sometimes after driving around a while, at a complete stop, the car sometimes feels like it wants to die. Like if i dont keep the revs up, itll drop. I gotta play with the brake and the gas. and sometimes when the motor is warm and its in park and i rev it high, the car just dies after the rev's drop down. My only mods is a K&N FIPK, Mac O/R H pipe, and flowmasters. It was a swapped motor. Came from a 96, GT, my car is a 98 GT with an auto and shift kit. And also sometimes when i shift into gear, the shift locks so hard that the motor almost dies. One time it died when i was reversing out of my driveway. I cleaned my IAC, changed my TPS, and cleaned my MAF element. Im lost right now. Anyone can help me as to what to look for? Thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

yea change your iac valve i cleaned mine a while back it didnt help 9 times out of 10 its the electronics in the peice itself so do your self a favor autozone is like around 50 bucks and an oem peice is a lil more than 120 but way better oh by the way i just replace mine but disconnect your battery while doin it to reset your comp. and its all good

Ok, so when im at a stoplight, sometimes after driving around a while, at a complete stop, the car sometimes feels like it wants to die. Like if i dont keep the revs up, itll drop. I gotta play with the brake and the gas. and sometimes when the motor is warm and its in park and i rev it high, the car just dies after the rev's drop down. My only mods is a K&N FIPK, Mac O/R H pipe, and flowmasters. It was a swapped motor. Came from a 96, GT, my car is a 98 GT with an auto and shift kit. And also sometimes when i shift into gear, the shift locks so hard that the motor almost dies. One time it died when i was reversing out of my driveway. I cleaned my IAC, changed my TPS, and cleaned my MAF element. Im lost right now. Anyone can help me as to what to look for? Thanks !

You have just described the classic symptoms of a dieing IAC.

Im going to get mine this weekend or should say Im going to order it this weekend since the dealer doesnt seem to have them in stock. Mine surges a little but also does a hard starting thing once in awhile and I hope that will fix it.

if what you call hard starting is the starter spinning but not firing up the car for a sec.... start turning your key.. wait for the voltage guage to read in the middle (takes like a second or two), than fire it up. ive never had that problem since i started doing that, but it used to on occasion when i jumped in and tried to start it right away.