Suspension Help

Hey guys,
I'm going to be freshening up my 130,000 mile suspension on the bullitt. First, I'm not going all out, I just want to replace the shocks and struts and whatever bearings and joints that are bad. Stock springs will stay for now as I scrape speed bumps as it is with the prochamber so until it is no longer a DD it will stay stock height. I think i've decided to go with some Koni STR.T shocks and struts as I seem to find the fewest complaints about them for the money. Where is the best place to get them at the best price?

My other main problem is that while driving over crappy bumpy roads my front suspension rattles, sounds like a metal on metal rattle and it sounds horrible. Im sure that some bearings or bushings are bad at 130k miles but I have no idea what to buy to replace them. Anyone have any suggestions on what I need to replace? Could it be the shocks that are making that noise?

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

My 96 mustang had a bad case of the rattles. It was very squeeaky creaky going over bumps, turning the wheel, etc.. I figured it was ball joints, so I ordered some, and I ordered some tie rod ends for while I was at it. When I got the front end torn apart, it also turned out that I had a broken spring. Replaced with FRPP C Springs. Also, I bought some "Strange" Adjustable shocks and struts. I was very unhappy with these. They were very loud (clunky) and ended up selling them on ebay with only about 500 miles on them.. (Couldnt return b/c they were used...)

As far as ball joints go if are planning to replace those, id go with moog ftw.

Thanks for the help joe. So what was it that fixed your car's case of the rattles? The struts, ball joints or tie rod ends?
After looking around I think I'm leaning towards the moog ball joints and some tie rod ends. I think they could be causing the noise. Is it typical on mustangs for inner or outer tie rods to go out? I dont want to replace something that doesnt need it as I'm trying to do this on a budget. What about a arm bushings? Is that something I should look into after 130k miles?

If you do a search for a squeaky front end, almost all the threads will suggest you change the ball joints.

I belive my cars squeaking problem was a combination of the broken spring, and old worn out ball joints. I changed the tie rod ends simply because they are pretty easy to change, I don't think they were too expensive, and I'd have to get the car aligned anyways with changing the ball joints. I got my ball joints / tie rod ends / control arm bushings thru rock auto. I think they were the cheapest when I was looking.

As far as the control arm bushings, I had every intention of changing them, but once I had the front end taken apart, they looked like a real pita to change. If I remember right, it is almost as if the bolt that you have to loosen is stuck in the rubber and not easy to remove.. (Al least mine was..) I returned the new ones, and even with the old control arm bushings, 99% of my sqeak from the front end is gone.

If you do a search for a squeaky front end, almost all the threads will suggest you change the ball joints.

I belive my cars squeaking problem was a combination of the broken spring, and old worn out ball joints. I changed the tie rod ends simply because they are pretty easy to change, I don't think they were too expensive, and I'd have to get the car aligned anyways with changing the ball joints. I got my ball joints / tie rod ends / control arm bushings thru rock auto. I think they were the cheapest when I was looking.

As far as the control arm bushings, I had every intention of changing them, but once I had the front end taken apart, they looked like a real pita to change. If I remember right, it is almost as if the bolt that you have to loosen is stuck in the rubber and not easy to remove.. (Al least mine was..) I returned the new ones, and even with the old control arm bushings, 99% of my sqeak from the front end is gone.

LCA bushings are a super big pain in the butt to replace. (been there done that) For the time involved, you're better off just buying tubular LCAs.