• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

T-5 Conversion issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter jxville
  • Start date Start date Mar 14, 2008
J

jxville

New Member
Mar 14, 2008
1
0
0
Mar 14, 2008
#1
  • Mar 14, 2008
  • #1
I could use some sound advice, as to my options.
I am converting a 1965 Mustang from automatic to the 5 speed T-5 transmission. In my infinite wisdom , the one I purchased is from a 1994. Knowing now that in the 94 and 95 the input shaft is longer. Here are my options as I see them. Spend the $200.00 and order the correct shaft or will a 94 bell housing bolt up and plan on cutting the floor another 2" back.
Any thoughts or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
 

rbohm

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
6,698
550
204
tucson,az
Mar 14, 2008
#2
  • Mar 14, 2008
  • #2
go the cheap way and get the 94 bell housing and adjust the shifter opening.
 

mrmustangman357

Member
Feb 11, 2007
763
3
18
Mar 14, 2008
#3
  • Mar 14, 2008
  • #3
buy a new input shaft for it. Take your old input shaft out and count the teeth, then look for an 87-93 t5 input that matches
 
T

tweet66

Founding Member
May 19, 2001
589
0
17
Pennsauken, NJ
Mar 14, 2008
#4
  • Mar 14, 2008
  • #4
I'll second rbohm, get the 94 bellhousing. I put a 97 V6 (same torque rating as the earlier V8's) in my 66 coupe. It'll work to your advantage as the shifter ended up directly in the center of the factory hole (no cutting/trimming). Made my own mount. Not sure if the 94/5 T5's have an electronic speedo but double check. I had to convert and modify an earlier tailshaft housing and add a speedo gear. The output shaft still had the boss for the gear so that wasn't that big of a deal. If I were to do it again I'd probably swap to an elec. speedo instead. Is your engine original? If so, make sure to get the correct balance flywheel (28oz.). The clutch fork comes out lower in the bell which worked to my advantage with the Flowtech headers as it is lower than the tubes but still above the frame rails. I'm stuck on my conversion right now trying to figure out a hydraulic setup using over the counter parts instead of dropping $400 on the kits out there which won't work with the clutch fork on a 94 and later bell housing anyway.
 

red65

Member
Apr 12, 2003
411
0
17
Ann Arbor, MI
Mar 14, 2008
#5
  • Mar 14, 2008
  • #5
tweet66 said:
I'll second rbohm, get the 94 bellhousing. I put a 97 V6 (same torque rating as the earlier V8's) in my 66 coupe. It'll work to your advantage as the shifter ended up directly in the center of the factory hole (no cutting/trimming).
Click to expand...

+1 -- The 94-95 trans fits perfectly - no cutting of the shifter hole required. You'll have to fab something for the trans mount (I used the Fox trans mount for the '65 and modified it - pretty simple).
 

red65

Member
Apr 12, 2003
411
0
17
Ann Arbor, MI
Mar 14, 2008
#6
  • Mar 14, 2008
  • #6
tweet66 said:
I'm stuck on my conversion right now trying to figure out a hydraulic setup using over the counter parts instead of dropping $400 on the kits out there which won't work with the clutch fork on a 94 and later bell housing anyway.
Click to expand...

If you're willing to drop a few $, JMC has a ready-made kit for the 94+ trans that I've had working for past ~3 years. It works well and bolted right up. Call them directly - that's how I discovered that the piece even existed.
 

coolblue65

Founding Member
Jul 26, 1999
1,224
2
39
Algonquin, IL
Mar 14, 2008
#7
  • Mar 14, 2008
  • #7
I would order a shortened input shaft, then you can use a stock '65 bell and clutch linkage stuff. No need for spacers then.
 
M

mikethebike

Member
Jun 12, 2007
358
0
17
Greenville, SC
Mar 14, 2008
#8
  • Mar 14, 2008
  • #8
I put a 1996 World Class T-5 in m 65 back in 96. I used the California Pony Cars install kit with their stock type 65 shifter. It went in like a factory install. Clines cut the drive shaft for $35.00. Total outlay of less than $1500.00
 

mustang6tee8

Member
Jul 19, 2005
375
0
17
College Station, TX
Mar 16, 2008
#9
  • Mar 16, 2008
  • #9
Electronic speedo's were not used until 96.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

K
3.8 T5 & Bellhousing to 1987 Lincoln 5.0
  • ks65stang
  • Mar 2, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
3
Views
455
Other Auto Tech Mar 3, 2026
Noobz347
S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
151
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
J
1998 v6 5-speed automatic transmission
  • Jude Thaddeus 1
  • Jan 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
277
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 21, 2026
Noobz347
C
Drivetrain T-5 transmission issue
  • Ch3No2
  • Jul 11, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
445
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2025
2000xp8
B
SOLD 1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 5-speed
  • blackmerc
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
16
Views
812
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Aug 24, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?