T-56 to replace T-45 in 98 GT ???

Rickyll7

Dec 16, 2005
Has anyone done this?
What would be required to do the job right?
Different length drive shaft? If so, who makes one?
What about the transmission mount? Who makes one for this?
Will it clear my exhaust?
Anything im missing?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

well you can buy complete kits. from D&D for like $2800.

that comes with crossmember and aluminum driveshaft. say's everting to complete the swap.

I assume you could cut that cost by modifing you existing driveshaft. finding the tranny a cheap as possible somewhere and then I belive the crossmember is just an 03 cobra crossmember.

http://www.ddperformance.com/T56 Kits.htm

here is there page. I would call them and pick there brain even if you want to go cheaper.

the t-56 I have used on the gm side of things have a solinoid driven reverse lockout. so you would have to deal with this as well possibly but i am not possitive.

I just know on the 97 f-body t-56 I put in my chevelle the was a skip shift solinoid from the factory and a reverse lockout solinoid. not sure if the ford models have these or not.

it is basically a 12v solinoid that operates the lockout. it need 12v applied to it. I don't know how the D&D kit deals with this.

if factory equiped the computer alows you to go into reverse below a certain speed. like 5mph or something. I do not know if there is a way to deal with this on a nomal gt ecm.

you could do a push button knob, wire off the brake pedal these are things people do on the older hotrod side of things.

Give D&D a call and they will help you out.

Theres adapters for buttons to then engage reverse, and I know of others who have it wired to the brakes. Just need to have foot on the brake to put tranny in reverse. Theres shift knobs with buttons you could wire it to.:nice: