• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Tach Install

  • Thread starter Thread starter Buck_92 fox
  • Start date Start date Aug 5, 2014
B

Buck_92 fox

New Member
Aug 5, 2014
3
0
1
Aug 5, 2014
#1
  • Aug 5, 2014
  • #1
I need help. I have a 92 mustang lx and I'm trying to install a APC tach with shift light. I'm honestly confused. If anyone knows how to install help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
 

RacEoHolic330

I like to dress like a pretty girl
15 Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
4,014
1,698
203
Allentown, PA
Aug 5, 2014
#2
  • Aug 5, 2014
  • #2
I tried to link to a diagram but it won't work for whatever reason. Google image search 'tach install' and you will get what you need. It's very easy to do.
 
B

Buck_92 fox

New Member
Aug 5, 2014
3
0
1
Aug 6, 2014
#3
  • Aug 6, 2014
  • #3
I got the tach to light up but now the problem is getting signal to it from the coil I have tried hooking it to the tan wire with a yellow tracer but no signal. Any ideas??
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Aug 7, 2014
#4
  • Aug 7, 2014
  • #4
Typically for tach installation, there are 4 wires: The wire colors given here are for wires on the car, not for the tach. The tach wires may be different colors.
1). Switched power from the ignition - tap the red/green wire on ignition coil.
2.) Illumination - tap the light blue/red wire in the radio mount area.
3.) Tach signal - tap the dark green/yellow wire on the ignition coil.
4.) Ground.- find a clean, shiny, bare metal spot under the dash or in the radio mount area.
 
B

Buck_92 fox

New Member
Aug 5, 2014
3
0
1
Aug 13, 2014
#5
  • Aug 13, 2014
  • #5
I don't see a green/yellow wire on coil I have a tan/yellow and a red/green. I've tried hooking it up to the tan/yellow wire but no signal...
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Aug 14, 2014
#6
  • Aug 14, 2014
  • #6
Sorry, I missed the fact that you had a 92, the wiring colors are different, The tan/yellow is the correct wire to use for the tach signal. If you wired up everything else correctly, the tach doesn't work...
 
Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
84
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
B
Fuel 1990 installing edelBrock intake
  • Beaker
  • Monday at 8:29 PM
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
180
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Tuesday at 10:39 PM
Noobz347
T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
162
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
R
Electrical 1987 Map Light
  • Riley Barth
  • May 30, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
360
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 6, 2026
Riley Barth
R
Strange timing issue
  • 92 Bimini Blue
  • Sep 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
14
Views
313
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sunday at 11:53 AM
highplace11
H
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?