Taking the plunge: 1970 coupe

FreeRust

Oct 7, 2019
Howdy all, just jumping in here because we finally took the plunge on a 1970 coupe rescued from the pine forests of deep east TX.

Long story short, it's gonna be the kid's first car, but he'll need to put in some blood/sweat/tears/cash to get there. Idle hands are the devil's playground and all and hopefully less likely to be an idiot behind the wheel if he's invested a bit of himself. That's the theory anyway! We've got time and are planning to take time and do it right.

Have been lurking here for about a year while we looked and the car popped up, jumped on it fast and here we are.

This seems like a great resource and good folks so howdy again and I'm sure we'll be picking everyone's brains here for the inevitable snags.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies y'all.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Cleaning out some of the filth in there and found the original ownercard, nice. At least it's a Dearborn build and not a Metuchen!

I believe that to be internet crap.
i meant difference in parts used, like bolt in windows verses glued in, stuff like that. I know there was two different door windows used but it may have been a year to year thing, can't remember.

You're probably right, especially since I don't have a Metuchen car to compare alongside it!

I thought I could keep all this straight, but wow, Ford sure has a lot of production line differences, mid-year changes, etc, etc.

6 cyl is always four-lug except for reasons X, Y, and Z oh and if it was built on a Tuesday, then of course they used different casting numbers, but only on diffs starting with A, B or C... :eek:

Some pics here. Got our work cut out for us, but overall in good shape.

Quarters look good. There's a bit of rot on the roof because of the vinyl top and a little on the corner of the quarter near the deck lid but the rails are solid.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 237
  • Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 233
  • Untitled5.jpg
    Untitled5.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 226
Found the original ownercard in the glovebox, nice. Definitely base model. But the interior is in good shape, not a rip or split seam in any of the seats. Factory AC car, original radio is unfortunately gone. No idea where the seashells came from, beach trip gone wrong? Driver's fender extension is munched as is driver's fender, but doesn't seem to have bent anything else. The export braces are straight so not too worried.

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Untitled6.jpg
    Untitled6.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 254
  • Untitled7.jpg
    Untitled7.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 232