The 5.0 movement and where it began

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
If you guys are bored , most of you know I’m laid up but check it out . Neil Van Opp happens to be a friend of mine who I met through my friend Roland in the video . Tony Defeo , ask Bernie Golick , Lee Rutter . Cool little history video and one bad ass 1,xxx mile coupe

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HW-QM9mFXPo&feature=youtu.be

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

4 min in so far... Loving it!
A lot of cool stuff . Makes you want a legit bone stock car to mess with when it’s done . That’s coming from someone who owns a car in Similar fashion to both of your awesome cars . It would be fun to keep it simple

Bernie is talking about the difference in the manual and auto computers saying that the auto computer was the way to go. That's a new one to me. Presumably he's talking about the A9L vs. the A9P, and I always thought the A9L was the way to go. Any thoughts?

Also, WTH is he talking about the computer pulling timing when it pings? I am not following what he's referring to. Is it possible he's thinking of the EEC V cars?

Bernie is talking about the difference in the manual and auto computers saying that the auto computer was the way to go. That's a new one to me. Presumably he's talking about the A9L vs. the A9P, and I always thought the A9L was the way to go. Any thoughts?

Also, WTH is he talking about the computer pulling timing when it pings? I am not following what he's referring to. Is it possible he's thinking of the EEC V cars?
I was wondering the same . I always thought the auto had more aggressive tables for timing then the manual but I’m not sure what he was referring too there .

Bernie got old . Just 4 years ago or so I met him at NMRA maple grove he drove his pantera from north jersey there . Sad to see him like that

I was just talking about the computers with someone last week, vaguely remember that if you own a manual you could use either computer but if you had the auto then it had to be the A9P.

I was just talking about the computers with someone last week, vaguely remember that if you own a manual you could use either computer but if you had the auto then it had to be the A9P.
Yes . I had an original auto car. The neutral input and 02 wiring would fry a stick one . I tried to do this early on . Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I remember a thread on corral where someone dissected the coding between the a9l and a9p and found there really wasn’t a significant difference.

This was after years of the “auto computer more aggressive myth”

Reactions: 1 users
Found it. Post 6 and 8

Yeah, what he seemed to be saying was that both chips would pull timing due to ping and then the A9P would add it back in more quickly. I also considered that maybe he meant that there was a shift-retard. Neither, so far as I understand it, is the case. The computer has no way to detect ping, and it does not pull timing on the shifts. However, according to the link you sent, the difference between the two is about 1/2 a degree at WOT at certain RPM. At the top, it's the same.

The partial load tables have some significant departures, though. If they were measuring the timing in that range and assuming that it applied at WOT, then they may have easily been misled by their observations.

I watched this video this afternoon. It's very Cool. I know Tony from my Mopar forum, I'm also into old Mopars.
Also remember going to Atco raceway in the 70's when I was a little kid. Saw lot's of cool cars.