Thinking About Buying a Corvette!

yea as for insurance I've heard that people are paying less for the Vette than their Mustang

Yes, I pay about 150 a year less for my 06 C6 coupe then my 02 GT vert. The vette is a great car and you'll enjoy it. But, I couldn't part with my stangs just to have a vette. This is my 2nd vette and I have never used them for daily drivers. My stangs I drive daily, the vette is a weekend roadtrip car.

• Sponsors (?)

I totaly know that with out the help of my parents I wouldn't even have the car I have to day. I've proved to my parents that I know the value of a dollar wich most kids don't today, even kids whos family don't have half as much money as my family. The kid I know with the 30k car has beat the car to the point its about to blow and all he says is "Oh-Well, they'll (parents) fix it." My parents already told me if it (Mustang) breaks it's your problem. I would love to say I bought the car with my own money but I know thats not gonna happen, atleast not right now. LOL I could pay for a good chuck of it but not all of it but I can't pass up the opportunity to get this car. :nice:

This kid with the 30K car is what I am talking about. Most kids who are privileged don't ever recognize the value of a dollar. It sounds like your parents are teaching you responsibility along with allowing you some luxuries. As long as you understand that this is truly a "Gift" from your parents I think you will be fine.

The reaction from the general public may be different, but that is something you already know.

Everybody has been cool about the Vette other than the Vette haters (Kilgore :D ) If I do race the GT I need to put 3.73s in and I dont really want to put anymore money in it. I have Gteched it on a road that has given me EXACT times to what Ive ran at the track and I pulled a 12.0, 12.1, 11.9 on that road but Im shifting into OD at WOT. :eek:

I found out I do have to sell the Stang if I get the Vette and it kind of make me rethink it. I still keep thinking I would like to put the new fuel system in, 8 rib kit w/ 2.8 pulley and 3.73 gears in it with maybe a 3200 stall. I could do all that for about 3k more. Im just at a loss on what to do, I think I could be a low 11 car with those mods or I could have a sweet ass Vette. :bang:

It sounds like you have your head on straight. I would consider this very carefully. Even if you sell the stang you will have the Shelby to drive... I don't know what I would do!

Incidentally, the vette could be made into an 11 second car too!!!

Good luck!

Matt

although I am jealous as all hell, you have to keep in mind that mods for the vette are ungodly expensive compared to mods for the mustang. If i remember correctly prices for catbacks were over triple the cost of ours.

Interesting situation.....I got two points of view...so listen up:D

One....you're in a pretty advantaged situation and you recognize that.....good for you. Thing I wonder is....now that you're 18.....what are your plans for becoming more independent and creating a success like your parents have for yourself. SOunds like you've got a good start by being an excellent student, have college plans, a good job for 18....etc. The other side of creating your own success is leading your own life and being responsible for yourself. I understand what you've said....but no matter how honest you try to be with yourself, there is just something about knowing you'll always be taken care of. Your parents may say they're not going to help you with certain things, but the thing about parents is, if they have the means, they will always help a child in trouble. But anyways, when you're in college....where do you plan on living? Are you living at home.....getting an apt....dorm.....house? I think one of the best things I've ever done in my life was to get a house. This just seemed to complete my feeling of transitioning to manhood from childhood. I've come complete circle now....if that makes any sense The other would be feeling like I don't need to rely on anyone....for anything. I'm truly capable of taking care of myself 100% not because I think I am....but because I have done so for a long time now. So anyways....I'm not trying to be judgemental, but I think where some of us are coming from is the standpoint that maybe you shouldn't take your parents up on every offer they give you just cuz its there. And quit worrying about demonstrating to them and yourself that you're not spoiled. MOst of what you've said has sounded like an arguement that you've proven to your parents that you're responsible. Now you're 18....doesn't really matter what you prove to them anymore....matters what you prove to yourself. Maybe there are other gifts they could give you inp lace of that car upgrade that would better suit you and your life's goals.

On the flip side....sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Grab the Vette while you got the chance. I'd have loved to had a Vette when I was starting college. As long as you're not giving up alot of other things to own this Vette. My advice is always the same.....don't be that guy who always has to work and spends most of his money paying for his car. Ya gotta enjoy some free time too.....don't be that guy who becomes too responsible too quickly. Don't get spoiled by it either....maybe you'll get lucky and your hard work will pay off and you'll have boat loads of money too...but if you're like most of us and just make a decent living, owning a vette may never happen again once you have a family, house, etc. etc. Think you'd be ok in the future knowing that you owned the coolest stuff when you were 18, and then y ou could never get it again?

I'll STFU now. So get the Vette will ya!

Interesting situation.....I got two points of view...so listen up:D

One....you're in a pretty advantaged situation and you recognize that.....good for you. Thing I wonder is....now that you're 18.....what are your plans for becoming more independent and creating a success like your parents have for yourself. SOunds like you've got a good start by being an excellent student, have college plans, a good job for 18....etc. The other side of creating your own success is leading your own life and being responsible for yourself. I understand what you've said....but no matter how honest you try to be with yourself, there is just something about knowing you'll always be taken care of. Your parents may say they're not going to help you with certain things, but the thing about parents is, if they have the means, they will always help a child in trouble. But anyways, when you're in college....where do you plan on living? Are you living at home.....getting an apt....dorm.....house? I think one of the best things I've ever done in my life was to get a house. This just seemed to complete my feeling of transitioning to manhood from childhood. I've come complete circle now....if that makes any sense The other would be feeling like I don't need to rely on anyone....for anything. I'm truly capable of taking care of myself 100% not because I think I am....but because I have done so for a long time now. So anyways....I'm not trying to be judgemental, but I think where some of us are coming from is the standpoint that maybe you shouldn't take your parents up on every offer they give you just cuz its there. And quit worrying about demonstrating to them and yourself that you're not spoiled. MOst of what you've said has sounded like an arguement that you've proven to your parents that you're responsible. Now you're 18....doesn't really matter what you prove to them anymore....matters what you prove to yourself. Maybe there are other gifts they could give you inp lace of that car upgrade that would better suit you and your life's goals.

On the flip side....sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Grab the Vette while you got the chance. I'd have loved to had a Vette when I was starting college. As long as you're not giving up alot of other things to own this Vette. My advice is always the same.....don't be that guy who always has to work and spends most of his money paying for his car. Ya gotta enjoy some free time too.....don't be that guy who becomes too responsible too quickly. Don't get spoiled by it either....maybe you'll get lucky and your hard work will pay off and you'll have boat loads of money too...but if you're like most of us and just make a decent living, owning a vette may never happen again once you have a family, house, etc. etc. Think you'd be ok in the future knowing that you owned the coolest stuff when you were 18, and then y ou could never get it again?

I'll STFU now. So get the Vette will ya!

Trust me, I know exactly what you’re saying.

I've been accepted to Purdue's Engineering Program in West Lafayette,2 ½-3 hours away and then I also got accepted to IPFW in Fort Wayne (little bit lower school LOL) which is about 1/2 hour drive from where I live so I could be living in an apartment or at home. I kind of want to go to Purdue and then I don’t, so I’m at a cross road there. I know if I do stay at home I would like to move out by the time I’m 19-20 years old. I pretty much live on my own now, since I work and do everything else on my own, just don’t have to worry about paying the bills, which of course is a big part of living on your own. I keep thinking I should just finish up my car and maybe upgrade my DD which is a 97 Explorer. I also keep thinking its time to grow up a little bit and look into something more practical car wise ( BMW, Cadillac, ect.) something I can drive all year round and wont have to worry about paying for two car insurances, let alone the 15mpg the Stang gets. LOL Then I think about taking the money for a car and saving it and putting it as a down payment for a house in the next few years, having a house paid off by the time I’m 30 wouldn’t be too bad.

Then again how can I pass up the opportunity to own and drive a Corvette?

Trust me, I know exactly what you’re saying.

I've been accepted to Purdue's Engineering Program in West Lafayette,2 ½-3 hours away and then I also got accepted to IPFW in Fort Wayne (little bit lower school LOL) which is about 1/2 hour drive from where I live so I could be living in an apartment or at home. I kind of want to go to Purdue and then I don’t, so I’m at a cross road there. I know if I do stay at home I would like to move out by the time I’m 19-20 years old. I pretty much live on my own now, since I work and do everything else on my own, just don’t have to worry about paying the bills, which of course is a big part of living on your own. I keep thinking I should just finish up my car and maybe upgrade my DD which is a 97 Explorer. I also keep thinking its time to grow up a little bit and look into something more practical car wise ( BMW, Cadillac, ect.) something I can drive all year round and wont have to worry about paying for two car insurances, let alone the 15mpg the Stang gets. LOL Then I think about taking the money for a car and saving it and putting it as a down payment for a house in the next few years, having a house paid off by the time I’m 30 wouldn’t be too bad.

Then again how can I pass up the opportunity to own and drive a Corvette?

You know, im kind of at that crossroad myself right now. I just got a new job today paying about 400 more a month than my current job. I'm about to be 21 in a few weeks and live at home while going to school full time and working.
I honestly could swing the payment for a 03/04 Cobra or even a nice 22-23k C5 vette and not suffer too much on the insurance end of things with this extra cash and the money id get for my car. I pay my own way through school thanks to scholarships and a grants( i guess good grade sin high school paid off), so thats not a huge issue. I live at home, but stay at the woman's house about 3-4 nights a week.
Ive decided at my age that i have a decently nice car and even though i could go get a c5 or something, i would much rather move out on my own with my long term girlfriend and start to take care of myself 100%.
I think its time to make the smart choice honestly. I earlier said that you should get the vette, but think about it. You already have a car with 400+ HP thats sweet as hell and also have a daily driver. You havent even STARTED College yet. So, i say save your money, move to a place of your own and keep saving it up so that when you get out of college and set yourself in a nice career, you'll be able to throwdown a HUGE down payment on a house and own it outright before you even turn 30 like you said. Then when you down have to pay a bigass mortgage every month on a house and with the extra money you'll be making, you can pick up a badass car and spend all the money you want on parts for it. Thats my take after realizing that i should probably grow up lol

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/27/2008-chevy-corvette-revealed-with-new-6-2l-ls3-v8-and-up-to-436/

Just read the info on the 08 Vette, kick the Mustang to the curb. The insurance won't be much different than what you are paying now. Between my Ws6 vs an 07 Vette is $100 extra for 6 months.

As for the house thing, I can understand that completely. I would love to have a house paid off by the time I'm 30 as well, but I know I can't do that. But for the growing up part, you're young and could be driving a badass car that 90% of the people in our age range couldn't afford. I say take it, but let us know what's going on either way. :)

Ah Purdue. Met Purdue Engineering students a few weeks ago at a competition... they make weird noises. I highly recommend not going there unless you too enjoy making weird noises.

Then again, they did have enough funding for a carbon fiber body on their car.

Here's to seeing you at competition in a year or 2, if your into SAE stuff :nice:

Ah Purdue. Met Purdue Engineering students a few weeks ago at a competition... they make weird noises. I highly recommend not going there unless you too enjoy making weird noises.

Then again, they did have enough funding for a carbon fiber body on their car.

Here's to seeing you at competition in a year or 2, if your into SAE stuff :nice:

Well, I dont make weird noises so Ill be a rareity there. LOL I have acutally started looking in to some more local schools that I might decide to go to instead. My dads pissed but I kind of want a smaller school so I can get more one on one help with the teachers.

Are you getting the new 430hp C6???

Do you have pics? Are you going to take factory delivery??

Yep the 430hp C6 plus im getting a lower gear in it and a Z06 style exhaust ( factory options) for it so it will be 436hp LOL. There are a few pics of the 08 C6 out and yes I will be taking factory delivery of one in August or around there.

Good advice, put the money in your head first or some appreciating asset. Cars keep getting better, you've got time. Besides, the Corvettes being the Mr. Potato-Head of cars are so easily modded there's a small fortune to be lost even improving on Z. :cool:

AWSOME! Now just bring it to TX so I can teach you a lesson with my GT and make sure your head doesnt get so high that you cant breathe :D :rlaugh:

J/K LOL should be an awsome car! Enjoy it and PLEASE be carefull in it. :nice:

Oh and dont forget to register at www.bowtieclub.com :lol: (yes it works)

LOL I know how most Corvette guys are and trust me I wont be like that. Ill stick with stangnet and stay away from bowtieclub. LOL

I test drove and 07 and I couldn't belive how nice it was. It was the smoothest riding car Ive ever been in even more than my moms 300C. Plus I LOVE the targa top.

I still have about a week to talk myself out of it and finish the stang up. Man its really bugging me to have to sell the car Ive worked so hard on. Not to mention all the $MONEY$ Ive put in it. LOL